james cracknell in hospital in the US

Comments

• beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    You do realise you'll have woken up the 'helmet mafia' don't you.......

:(

Bob
  • robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    You do realise you'll have woken up the 'helmet mafia' don't you

That was my first thought after reading the link!!

Hope he recovers quickly
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Judging by where it happened I hope he is now "Taking it easssssssyyyyy, taking it easy" etc

(Apologies if this is in poor taste)
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I met James Cracknell on the recent Deloitte RAB and he was a very nice man and a pretty awesome cyclist. Had the pleasure of doing a fair few miles with him and glad that he is "ok" and sure that his focus and determination will get him back on the bike soon.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    mrc1 wrote:
    Judging by where it happened I hope he is now "Taking it easssssssyyyyy, taking it easy" etc

Perhaps the trucker wasn't looking where he was going, looking at a girl in a flat-bed Ford, more than likely. She was, allegedly, slowing down to take a look at him at the time!
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    Garry H wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:

Perhaps the trucker wasn't looking where he was going, looking at a girl in a flat-bed Ford, more than likely. She was, allegedly, slowing down to take a look at him at the time!

hey come on now take it easy
  • paulorg
    paulorg Posts: 168
    Garry H wrote:
    mrc1 wrote:

hey come on now take it easy

Sod off, take it easy my booty, you should be livin' it up, possibly at the Hotel California.

:roll: I'll get my coat
    If you buy it, they will come...

...up to you and say, you didn't want to buy one of them!!!
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Well his life was saved by the helmet, according to the Telegraph. Proven once and for all then :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    OOHH, the irony.

Quote from the article "The 38-year-old was in Arizona filming with the Dangerous film company for a Discovery Channel documentary"

:)
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Cracknell...

Cracked Skull...

Cracked Shell...

Bloody Hell !
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,437
    With a wife like the Lovely Beverly Turner and a family waiting for you when you get home, you wonder why Cracknell travels the world for weeks at a time trying to kill himself.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    [cod psychology]I think he has psychological difficulties of some sort. He may be a perfectionist (see how frustrated he gets, like in the Antarctic trek), or may consider himself to be a failure. Maybe he is only nearly good enough when he nearly kills himself. Maybe he realises he can't be good enough (by whatever standard he is using) so he will only be fulfilled when he dies trying. Maybe he is trying to correct self-perceived failure to live up to his own or others (parent, a 5 time Olympic medallist?) standards or expectations. Inside, and fairly nearly outside, he is not a happy and content man. Maybe many ambitious and driven people are like this, but I have seen others that seem happier.[/cod psychology].
  • mroli
    alfablue - I think you're reading too much into it. As an ex-olympic rower, James C's greatest talent is the ability to keep banging his head against the wall longer than anybody else. He needs a career after rowing to make money for said wife and children. Therefore these challenges are partly to make money for his family and also partly to utilise his skills. Bear in mind he is also v good at these things - top brit at the marathon des sables, gold standard at the etape. Not bad for a big unit...
  • alfablue
    Yes, I told you it was cod psychology - but if you watched how he behaved on the Antarctic trek you do get some insight into how his mind works. I take nothing away from his achievements, I wasn't criticising, just trying to work out what drives him. I would suggest that is more than merely the pragmatic approach you suggest. No reason why this couldn't meet his needs on a number of levels, physically, socially, economically and psychologically.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    mroli wrote:
    alfablue - I think you're reading too much into it. As an ex-olympic rower, James C's greatest talent is the ability to keep banging his head against the wall longer than anybody else. He needs a career after rowing to make money for said wife and children. Therefore these challenges are partly to make money for his family and also partly to utilise his skills. Bear in mind he is also v good at these things - top brit at the marathon des sables, gold standard at the etape. Not bad for a big unit...

Had I not seen the Antarctic trip with Fogle, I would have felt very sorry for Cracknell. I'm not disputing if he's a nice guy or not. What was clearly shown in that documentary is his will to kill himself and f**k all others in the process (I'm talking about the crevasse field they should have avoided and frostbite damage).

For family men, just remember what Fogle and Cracknell have suffered in the last few years. Fogle has had a flesh eating disease and now Cracknell a head fracture.

I personally think the family will end up with his life insurance sooner rather then later, I'm afraid.

Anyhow, get well soon.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • mroli
    Well, I've ridden with him and with the miles that I rode with him, he rode correctly and safely, spoke of his family with love and affection and came across as nothing more than the type of person that is determined and focused about what they want to achieve (and able to be incredibly single minded in that). Of course, I am basing that judgement on him on a few miles of cycling - but then you are judging him on an edited tv programme.

All I can say is get well soon James and I hope that we will get more tv programmes and more opportunities to ride with you soon.
  • alfablue
    So you didn't see the tv programme . . .
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,437
    mroli wrote:
    Well, I've ridden with him and with the miles that I rode with him, he rode correctly and safely, spoke of his family with love and affection and came across as nothing more than the type of person that is determined and focused about what they want to achieve (and able to be incredibly single minded in that). Of course, I am basing that judgement on him on a few miles of cycling - but then you are judging him on an edited tv programme.

All I can say is get well soon James and I hope that we will get more tv programmes and more opportunities to ride with you soon.

Having read the previous posts i don't think anyone is having a go at James Cracknell. The man's a born winner and winners behave a certain way sometimes. The pinnacle of any athletes career is olympic gold and having achived that James will never get close again no matter how hard he pushes. Hopefully he will recover well and we can all enjoy him on tv again in the near future. As a loving family man, after an accident like this he may now start to cut back on adventure. Yeah you can get knocked off your bike in britain but in America you can expect it.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • mroli
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/79114 ... ident.html

Seanocon - you say no-one is having a go at JC - but when you read
    "Had I not seen the Antarctic trip with Fogle, I would have felt very sorry for Cracknell"
    about someone you have met that has been hit by a truck suffering a fractured skull, well, I don't want to get into it any more...