705 successor -- when?

nubenotforlong
nubenotforlong Posts: 68
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
I have tried a few rides with using my iPhone as a GPS and computer .... but the battery is woeful. At about 2.5 hours it dies from a full charge. Also, oddly, if I mount it on my bars, my cateye computer will not see the sensor and I have to separate them by a metre or more (apple does not play well with others!)

I was looking at a 705, but noticed they have been out for 2.5 years now ... when do you think garmin update this model?

I don't what to buy one to find the price dives because of the new model, or that the new one is miles better...

Comments

• Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    Why do you think Garmin will bring out a replacement for the 705 soon?
    The bought out the Edge 500, which is more of a slightly differnt version (no maps, better GPS IIRC), last year I believe.
    If you want one, buy one - they're great.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Garmin seem to be using OS mapping on some of their newer devices so I would have a thought a 705 styled more like the 500 but with OS mapping would be a no brainer for them to come up with
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    nferrar wrote:
    Garmin seem to be using OS mapping on some of their newer devices so I would have a thought a 705 styled more like the 500 but with OS mapping would be a no brainer for them to come up with

A device the size of a 500 with OS mapping would be next to useless.
    More problems but still living....
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    They've also bought out other devices recently, such as the Edge used for Skiing/Snowboarding which uses the same base, and new Forerunner units, so I can't see them changing it anytime soon.

I think technically, the Edge is seen as primarily a very sophisticated bike computer and training tool. The navigation on the device is primarily designed around you plotting a route beforehand, or using it to get your somewhere or home if you need to.

On my road bike, I've never really felt I needed OS maps on it.

On my MTB, it would obviously be nice to have OS functionality, but you still get a good amount of detail of the terrain on the Garmin map.

Really, the OS map functionality is a better device for walkers and such, though you can still I believe use something like the Oregon with a heart rate monitor, but it's a much bigger unit than the Edge is. You can see that the devices that have OS mapping aren't part of the 'Sports' line, most are also touchscreen, which isn't really suited to riding a bike, where you need a tactile button press.
  • Technology companies always have an urge to release new/upgraded or just different packages every few years...not always a leap forward.

Don't know of any other reason to replace it.

The main thing I'd like the 705 for is for detailed training information more specifically for climb data so I can ensure my rides are of adequate intensity. That and to guide me when I am unsure of the route. Stopping to check which direction to go drives me nuts

Tony
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    I reckon the 705 is sorted for a while. Firmware updates will be used for any changes. Although, when they do bring out a new one I hope they give it a higher resolution screen and maybe make it a bit quicker at calculating routes and stuff.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    amaferanga wrote:
    nferrar wrote:

A device the size of a 500 with OS mapping would be next to useless.

Agreed but that's not what I said, by 'styled like' I meant a bit more modern looking than the chunk of black plastic that the 705 is. Although personally I'd much rather Garmin just sorted out all the software so it worked intuitively and that device updating wasn't pot luck.
  • DubaiNeil
    DubaiNeil Posts: 246
    OTOH they are likely to release a new model in the next week or so, as I have just bought the Edge 500 :evil:

That's what normally happens to me anyway.... :x

Neil
  • Rich_E wrote:
    They've also bought out other devices recently, such as the Edge used for Skiing/Snowboarding which uses the same base, and new Forerunner units, so I can't see them changing it anytime soon.

I think technically, the Edge is seen as primarily a very sophisticated bike computer and training tool. The navigation on the device is primarily designed around you plotting a route beforehand, or using it to get your somewhere or home if you need to.

On my road bike, I've never really felt I needed OS maps on it.

On my MTB, it would obviously be nice to have OS functionality, but you still get a good amount of detail of the terrain on the Garmin map.

Really, the OS map functionality is a better device for walkers and such, though you can still I believe use something like the Oregon with a heart rate monitor, but it's a much bigger unit than the Edge is. You can see that the devices that have OS mapping aren't part of the 'Sports' line, most are also touchscreen, which isn't really suited to riding a bike, where you need a tactile button press.

I use the Oregon when on the MTB...perfect for the job. Garmin actually promote the Dakota as an MTB device as well which is a small version of the Oregon.
  • Some of you were so far out it's scary...the garmin 800 just got announced and I haven't had my 705 a month yet!
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    According to this link the only difference is that the 800 brings a touchscreen to the party. So what?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gadgets/garmin-wheels-out-touchscreen-edge-800-for-cyclists/

That said, if this link is to be believed, the price will range from $49 to $649 so I'm quite keen to see the $49 option!
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    GavH wrote:
    According to this link the only difference is that the 800 brings a touchscreen to the party. So what?

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gadgets/garmin-wheels-out-touchscreen-edge-800-for-cyclists/

That said, if this link is to be believed, the price will range from $49 to $649 so I'm quite keen to see the $49 option!

Bigger screen but the unit is the same size overall so that's good.
  • Certainly can't see there's anything in the new 800 to make a 705 owner to 'upgrade'.

Yes it looks nice, is a little smaller and lighter and has a couple of new features but nowhere near enough to persuade me to shell out another £300+, especially as the maps are not transferrable to the new unit as I understand it.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • willbevan
    willbevan Posts: 1,241
    have to agree with DAG...

There is little to perswade people to upgrade from a 705...

10 data fields instead of 8 on a screen
    3 general data screens
    touch screen (hmmm with gloves over the winter)
    nicer interface (will it be buggy and crash in time unlike the pretty reliable interfaces on the previous gens)
    Better graphics when sat nav and vitual partner (perfectly fine as they are)

mind you i like my bling.... better things to spend money on first im sure...
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

http://www.rossonwye.cyclists.co.uk/
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    There is also a thermometer now, too, that's also been missing before and I'm glad it's added. The ability to create custom maps is a tremendous addition, people seem to be completely glossing over that one, but it's got great potential. You can also buy a wristwatch strap for the 800, so if you run for instance, you can more easily take the 800 with you. Improved mounting (twist lock), that was the 705 and 305's achilles heal for me.

I'll be upgrading, I've had my 705 since the day there were available in the UK, so I've had my money's worth out of it :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I wouldn't be able to fit a twist lock on my TT bike due to the bars, unless I had it on one of the extensions which would be silly, it's put me off changing!

As for a thermometer, I need to know the temp before I get on the bike so I know what to put on. It would be useful for monitoring performance though if it were to record that data on Trainingpeaks...

It looks a lot sleeker than the 705 and I like the wrist strap idea. (I take my 305 with me when I'm stupid enough to want to run and holdit in my hand...)
  • dodgy
    That's what I do Nap, sometimes I end up making a fist and cover up the GPS sensor when running though!
  • when is the 800 going to be released in the uk?
  • 1_reaper
    1_reaper Posts: 322
    I think someone said mid October but not sure whether its US or UK release date. Hopefully all will become clear soon :?
  • willbevan
    im still trying to justify the upgrade when its realised :S doh!
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

• 1_reaper
    I was all set for the 705 but i love my tech so i'm holding out for the 800. I can wait
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    I'll take someone's discarded 705 :lol: That's what I'm holding out for. Will still use my lyc :wink:
  • willbevan
    mine I expect 'when' I justitfy it will be snapped up by some club mates without doubt :)

I love shiney things!
    Road - BTwin Sport 2 16s
    MTB - Trek Fuel 80
    TT - Echelon

• 1_reaper
    Gotta love shiny new tech :D
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,104
    1_reaper wrote:
    I was all set for the 705 but i love my tech so i'm holding out for the 800. I can wait

+1

But I want something now :(
  • dodgy
    Signs are now pointing to a mid November release rathre than mid October. Just check out the various retailer sites.