Does your employer have a BUG?

rmhodv
rmhodv Posts: 83
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I was just wandering if your employer has a Bicycle Users Group (BUG)? If so, is it a good thing. I was thinking of starting one where I work, but didn't want to waste my time if no one will buy in.

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I was invited to kick one off last year, with me as 'Cycle Champion'. What would I do though? Best advice would have been to point the other three cyclists to this here web site, and get them signed up to SC Stats so that I could be beating three other people as well.
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Dunno whether this will help;

Here's the Unis BUG website; http://www.bath.ac.uk/internal/bubug/index.htm

Essentially, the group is an emailing list, which covers topics such as planning apps of interest to cyclists, cycling developments, pleas for help (I need a "Insert-tool-here" on campus today before I go home), events in the local area, etc.

Anyone on the group can post to it, but it is low activity (not forum like) and kept well on track. How much effort it requires to keep going, I don't know.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    We don't have one, and i wouldn't set one up.
    The company i work for is pretty switched on and we have everything you need, secured parking, lots of good stands. showers, towels, changing rooms, lockers, drying areas and hangers. What more could we need?

I already know about 70% of the male cyclist in the company, and if we had an issue, i know they would voice them straight away.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Yep, there's a bicycle users group here, as well as a cyclists mailing list. I haven't been to any of the meetings yet, but judging by the minutes of meetings I think it's probably worthwhile. That said, meetings seem to be infrequent, and I think the Travel & Environment Co-ordinator guy does a lot of stuff outside of the BUG itself.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I'm not in a BUG.

The coments raised on here come across as "I'm alright jack"

There seems to be no evangelical zeal to get more people cycling into your work
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • rmhodv
    gaz545 wrote:
    we have everything you need, secured parking, lots of good stands. showers, towels, changing rooms, lockers, drying areas and hangers. What more could we need?

Sounds like heaven :cloud 9:
  • rmhodv
    spen666 wrote:
    I'There seems to be no evangelical zeal to get more people cycling into your work

Agreed. We have the C2W scheme, but that's it. Nothing like showers, drying area etc to back it up.
  • We've got one.

As with most clubs/groups there are the 3 or 4 very committed people who do everything, the active section that moan about how everything is done or come up with 'great ideas' but never volunteer to organise anything or see things through, & the silent majority. (I'm in the middle group :oops:)

Our BUG has been brilliant dealing with the Local Authority, Police etc. They seem to be very good on finding out about issues that affect cycling & cyclists, when a decision will be made & at which meeting and then turning up and getting their view across and influencing the decision.

They've been less successful dealing with our employer & are viewed as professional grumblers but we've just had a Green Travel Planner appointed so there will be regular contact between the BUG & someone with the same aims as them & the responsibility to make it happen. So hopefully things will improve.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    rmhodv wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    I'There seems to be no evangelical zeal to get more people cycling into your work

Agreed. We have the C2W scheme, but that's it. Nothing like showers, drying area etc to back it up.

Same as my work, although I am 50% of the cycle commuters here, it wouldn't be much of a group.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Tchah. Don't know what you're complaining about. I'm the BUG here, we don't have C2W, lockers, showers, anything.
  • spen666
    prawny wrote:
    rmhodv wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Same as my work, although I am 50% of the cycle commuters here, it wouldn't be much of a group.

Shouldn't the aim of a BUG be to encourage more users?

IF I am correct on this, then to say you are 50% of the cycle commuters is not in keeping with the aim of a BUG

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666
    Tchah. Don't know what you're complaining about. I'm the BUG here, we don't have C2W, lockers, showers, anything.

no, LIT when they say you BUG people, that wasn't what they meant

Twittering @spen_666
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    spen666 wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    rmhodv wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

IF I am correct on this, then to say you are 50% of the cycle commuters is not in keeping with the aim of a BUG

Is there a rule somewhere which states a BUG should have a minimum number of members from it's inception? Why shouldn't 2 people encourage more people to cycle to work? I'm missing your point...
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • prawny

Don't you work at home? Surely you have a shower! Urgh whiffy!
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    prawny wrote:

Don't you work at home? Surely you have a shower! Urgh whiffy!

I used to. Now back in offices. I do have a shower, but had to join a gym to do so!
  • prawny
    mcj78 wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    prawny wrote:
    rmhodv wrote:
    spen666 wrote:

Is there a rule somewhere which states a BUG should have a minimum number of members from it's inception? Why shouldn't 2 people encourage more people to cycle to work? I'm missing your point...

Honestly I can't imagine anyone else in my building cycling to work, very old school insurance types, we don't own the building either so would be limited in what a BUG could acheive and most important of all if more people cycled to work I wouldn't be special any more.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    You'd still be special - all you need to do is carry your spare socks down the front of your shorts, no-one would even notice someone else wearing lycra :D
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    We don't, but there are a few people commuting by bike here - and a fair few more that have mentioned to me that they were thinking about it.

Have vaguely been thinking about setting up some sort of informal group.