the perfect setup, is there such a thing?

CycloRos
CycloRos Posts: 579
edited July 2010 in MTB general
or is it all in your head?

I'm a self confessed fettler when it comes to my bike setup, I just can't leave things alone!

Short stem, longer stem, saddle right back, saddle right forward, saddle lower, saddle higher, wider bars, lower the stack height, change the angle of brake levers, move brakes inward, different grips, etc...etc...

I finally found one I was comfortable with for ages then stripped everything down to give it a good clean and regrease and I just can't seem to get back again :x

So last night I decided to fit a higher/wider riser bar to my Duster and I do prefer the feel of it but now I'm thinking the stem has too much rise... grrr

Obviously we're all gonna find different things we prefer but what little gems have you snook into your setup which have made you go WOW! that's made a HUGE difference?! how the hell did I ride without it?!
Current Rides -
Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
Pics!

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Buy bike, ride bike, if things hurt or feel odd make changes. That's as far as things go for me, I've used 100mm stems on my last 7 bikes, seatposts have varied between layback and inline depending on what I like the look of. I just don't seem to be that affected by bike setup!
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    The only thing I'm particular about is my saddle position.

Otherwise I hop on a bike and ride it how it is. Only after a fair bit of riding and careful thinking do I change parts. i.e. Other than cosmetic changes I've only changed the front rotor on my bike to a bigger one and a droppy seatpost.

Next decision I'm contemplating is what direction to go with my crankset (hammerschmidt (£££'s!!! :shock: ), dual with bash/guide or stick with a triple)... Oh to the decisions in life...
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    I've got mates who constantly change/upgrade/replace/adjust - often doing several bits at once so they don't then work out what thing it is they like/dislike! I've always taken a steady approach to changing parts/settings one at a time so I can clearly identify what it is I'm noticing a change in. As a result, I've got a spot on setup that allows me to instantly "feel" if anything is wrong with my bike at any time.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    njee20 wrote:
    Buy bike, ride bike, if things hurt or feel odd make changes.
    ^^ this

I am lucky enough to have access to more than one bike and they are all different. Straight off one onto another feels weird for a few minutes but I am nothing if not adaptable :wink:
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Nope there is no perfect set up, there is always a compromise for the soft bit that powers and controls the bike. There are certain sweet spots where there is comfort and capability.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • there probably is... I just can't fecking find it :lol:
  • projectsome
    projectsome Posts: 4,478
    Tom Barton wrote:
    The only thing I'm particular about is my saddle position.

this.

If my saddle isn't at the right height then the ride is uncomfortable
    FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!
  • I got the perfect set up on my first (budget) bike. I have moved on to a far better bike and struggled a bit with the pedal reach, having been sized rather scientifically by my LBS. I lowered the saddle by about 1cm and it felt great for a month or two but now I wonder about raising the saddle a bit. It took me six months to get the saddle height and tilt just right on my first bike, so I live in hope!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I think some changes do make a big difference.

I recently shortened my stem from 110mm to 80mm and at the same time changed from lo-rise XC style bars to wider hi-rise Easton EA70 bars and the difference was immediate and and I just felt so much more in control and comfortable. It really did feel like a different bike.

Other things such as saddle hight and tilt; stack height and brake/gear lever angles I seem to change all the time, like it for a bit and change back.

I think a lot of it is down to just liking a change. Kinda like moving you bedroom furniture around, doesn't really make a difference, but just different enough to keep things feeling a bit fresh.