suggestions please - increasing the km's

cyclopsbiker
cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
yep, suggesions please of where to go so I can add a few km on to my morning commute...door to door its 9.66km and I've vowed never to do under 10km (ok, so I'm OCD and like round numbers). however, I'm quite up for adding 2-5km on my route, depending how I feel when I get closer to work. I can happily add on km at the start of my route but then fear some days the leg mojo will just have vanished before I get to work!

my final destination is High Holborn, I usually cross London Bridge, head up past either Bank or Cannon St and St Paul's/Old Bailey depending on traffic and road works.

so, what routes can I do from London Bridge to High Holborn to up my distance?? I'd like to avoid just heading towards Trafalgar Sq and the carnage I imagine is down there with peds/traffic lights :lol:

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    maybe head over tower bridge? that'll add a little
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Bear left before you get to LB, and cut across one of the other more westerly bridges, perhaps. If you swing over to Westminster Bridge, you could even include a short length of the fabled Embankment for a bit of SCR fun. There are various ways to cut across depending on where you are arriving from, most are obvious from a map.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cyclopsbiker
    tower bridge...yep, good call.

staying south of the river and coming back on embankment...like that, cheers

any other suggestions for routes heading a bit north from Bank/St Pauls? though the embankment route might be a good one to get a bit of distance without compromising on speed loss with too many lights. think I'll be down there tmo....
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I like that idea of cutting across south of the river to Westminster then back east along Embankment. Greenwich-LonBr-St Pauls is my route currently. Could go west toward OKR/NKR and then around Westminster. Would turn my 10km commute into 15km...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • stickman
    stickman Posts: 791
    KMs? Are we in France?
    Bikes, saddles and stuff

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21720915@N03/
    More stuff:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/65587945@N00/

Gears - Obscuring the goodness of singlespeed
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    It may add a little more than you want but I have been doing laps of City Airport on my way home (Aldgate - Charlton) then either doubling back to Greenwich foot tunnel or using the Woolwich ferry then Abbey Wood/Shooters Hill and back to Charlton.
    The roads around the airport are surprisingly quiet in the evenings and you can get a decent run without being stopped by lights, junctions etc - not sure about the mornings.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Butterd2 wrote:
    It may add a little more than you want but I have been doing laps of City Airport on my way home (Aldgate - Charlton) then either doubling back to Greenwich foot tunnel or using the Woolwich ferry then Abbey Wood/Shooters Hill and back to Charlton.
    The roads around the airport are surprisingly quiet in the evenings and you can get a decent run without being stopped by lights, junctions etc - not sure about the mornings.

That sounds like fun!
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    stickman wrote:
    KMs? Are we in France?

I opened this thread pretty much to post the same thing :)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    8 km is roughly 5 miles

so 16kph = 10mph; 32kph = 20mph; 48kph = 30mph

Keep doing the conversions in your head and eventually you don't need to convert, you can just switch from one to the other.

Or did you want it in chains and furlongs?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    If you wouldn't mind :D
  • Butterd2 wrote:

I've been looking at that road on the map recently - it's on the edge of my rather insane ''ride every road'' project, which is slowly radiating out from Deptford. I assume the best way would be anti-clockwise - is that right?

In terms of varying routes, it's surprising just how much you can change your route depending on time available. My dad was in Queen Elizabeth Hospital over in Woolwich for about 2 months, and it became a bit of a commute for me. In that time, I managed to never ride the same route twice. Of course, towards the end I was arriving at the hospital from a completely different direction....

Oh, and anyone who climbs Shooters Hill for pleasure at the end of a day's work is in a completely different league from me. I'm not sure whether I should say ''chapeau'' or recommend the name of a therapist to you.
  • cyclopsbiker
    city airport laps....nice idea but not for me in the commute week, would add a bit too much on from deptford, plus I'm looking to add km's at the other end of my commute...holborn end.

haven't climbed shooters hill at the end of my commute but I have done Point Hill, Maze hill, through Greenwich Park, Crooms's and Hyde Vale....not all in the same night.....do I get a chapeau for those??!! :lol:

got myself a foldout map yesterday....spotted a route from deptford to oval, across the river and right down the embankment....that's gonna be the first one I try. will work out distance to see what time I should leave.
  • Cyclops, I don't know the up town variations but if you change earlier parts of your route there might be some alternatives.

Go round Salter (?) Road, a quietish, smooth road that adds distance by taking you round the Rotherhithe area.

Foot tunnel to Westferry Road, joining up with the CS3 route north of Canary Wharf - Westferry Road is fairly quick. And if that's not long enough you could go up the east side of the Isle of Dogs - Manchester Road, fairly smooth and almost free of traffic lights - and join up with CS3 via the underpass by Blackwall DLR (if you can find it!!)
  • cyclopsbiker
    took the foot tunnel, westferry rd, picked up the cycle superhighway (a few weird bits crossing sides of roads?!) then up Cannon St, down Commercial Road, Aldgate, Leadenhall, Bank, St Pauls..... 12.39km....no point saying the time cos it was longer than I'd take...I collected a work colleague at Island Gardens to show them the route in. been ages since she's been on a bike so we took it real steady. nice route though. used to work on commercial road so the first bit was my daily commute then.

Salter Road - yep, spotted that one last night on the map, reckon it'll add about 2.5km on which is nice.

if I go up the east side of isle of dogs do I have to cross the limehouse link/aspen way to get on the CS3 nr Blackwall DLR? or is that where you mean about the underpass?
  • Yes, just to the left of Preston Way (which is the continuation of Manchester Road) where it meets the roundabout there's a DLR sign for Blackwall - this is actually a well-concealed cycle underpass that avoids the roundabout.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=London+SE8+4SQ,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.506198,-0.008347&spn=0.003853,0.005332&t=h&z=17&layer=c&cbll=51.507161,-0.007883&panoid=BA2tBYjv6r6GAUsNx5j2iA&cbp=12,192.6,,2,5