not that OT

MonkeyMonster
MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
But when having to just walk on two feet instead of mounting our speed steeds (*ahem*) I find myself either imagining myself cycling along the same street/road or just day dreaming about cycling and I subconciously up my walking speed.

Anyone else do this?
Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    :oops: yes...

I particularly like 'riding' down the stairs in the office!

:D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    Not so much when walking, but definitely when sat in the passenger seat with Mrs RJS driving. Sometimes even point out good bits of road to her, as if that information is useful to her.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I still use the lifesaver if I'm changing direction when walking
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I do that too.

I'm a Silly Commuting Walker on my days off the bike. I cannot fathom how some people can walk so slowly.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I do that too.

I'm a Silly Commuting Walker on my days off the bike. I cannot fathom how some people can walk so slowly.

Oh + 100. What is it with people who walk slowly, and in zig-zags? Move man, move.

OP? Never. That's the road to madness...
    :)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I do that too.

yeah if I'm out with a group of people it can be infuriating... and I can end up dragging the missus along sometimes
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I usually do that when I'm in the car. Go too slow when walking, short legs don't just make it difficult to get a bike that fits.
  • rjsterry
    Often been asked whether I've 'left the gas on or something' by Mrs RJS due to continually leaving her behind.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cyclopsbiker
    cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I do that too.

yeah if I'm out with a group of people it can be infuriating... and I can end up dragging the missus along sometimes

walking lifesaver....that's excellent. think I do that without realising!

slow/zig-zagging walkers...they're just so inefficient at getting from A-B. most infuriating indeedy!!
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I do that too.
    Ditto.

I've always been a fast walker, but it's got worse since i started cycling.

The worst is walking down roads you ride down every day; roads that flash by in seconds normally seem to last forever.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Clever Pun wrote:

I do that all the time. It's actually sometimes useful. I wish pedestrians would do it when I'm walking behind and they suddenly stop.

I also often stare wistfully at bicycles and imagine riding bits of road I see when I'm on foot, in the car or on a train. Sometimes I notice my legs involuntarily flexing in a vague pedalling motion when I'm a car or train passenger.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I've woken myself up subconsciously cycling.

I was asleep on the sofa at the time. Damn near hit the floor.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Yes to doing a lifesave when walking. (I always suspected I wasn't the only one.)

And yes to SCWing. I simply can't walk down Oxford Street - I can feel the rage* building as there are so many bimblers. If I have to be in the Oxfrod St area - I'llwalk along the streets north and south of it until I got to where I want to be.

(* Well, I feel like tutting but manage to repress it - Hell hath no fury like an Englishman tutting.)
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    suzyb wrote:
    I usually do that when I'm in the car. Go too slow when walking, short legs don't just make it difficult to get a bike that fits.

Interesting Suze as I motor along as a ped (or used to, I know I'm slowing down darn ageing process!) and am convinced people deliberately block my path to slow me down :roll: :D

The hunt for a roadbike that fits has just started......... :( . Fortunately my C2W is in October.
  • rjsterry
    I like to think I have pretty good ped filtering skills - certainly way above those on my bike.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I do that too.

Bl00dy wheelsucker! :)
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I do that too.

Ah, according to our friends, my wife and kids all walk too fast.

I've checked my walking speed on my bike speedo when pushing my bike, at a slow walking pace... About 4.5 mph.

I do have a colleague who does walk at my speed - he was a bit surprised to find that we were walking at about the same speed after work one evening.

He's off to do the Lakeland 100 this weekend. He also stopped commuting by bike because he was losing fitness, as it was too easy compared to running.

Nutter