Which Bike Please?

Clarke71
Clarke71 Posts: 3
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
Hiya, My employers have registered with the cycle to work scheme and I want to buy a complete bike for around £800.
So far, I've been looking at the Scott Scale 70, Orange G3, Bianchi Jab 7100 SLX/Deore Disc 2010 and Saracen Zen1. They are all within my price bracket and I'm just seeking some advice on which bike will suit my needs best.
I'll be riding to work along a canal bank which is fairly solid ground for the most part and also want to do some trail riding on my days off.
One of my mates said that the Rockshox Dart2 forks that are on a couple of the bikes are not the best, which is putting me off those bikes a bit.
Im 6'2 and weigh around 14 and a half stone.
I'd appreciate any guidance.
Thanks

Comments

• i dont know anything specific about the bikes, but yes, rock shox darts are well worth missing, they arent up to much. hope that helps :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Agreed, the Darts are best avoided...

Spesh rockhopper disc often wins the upto £600 group tests......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tdougan
    tdougan Posts: 152
    Personally I think I'd go for the Orange G3, and upgrade the forks in a year or so.

My advice is to go down to a shop and trial them - see what feels nice to ride!

T
  • booldawg
    booldawg Posts: 290
    Orange offer the option of an upgrade on the forks for 60GBP. Think this gets you the Tora. Worth considering.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • Clarke71
    Clarke71 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice. I'll go and try a couple out. Cheers