Yeah baby!

jonny_trousers
jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
So I did it! I broke the 30 minute commute! I know it is utterly meaningless to you lot, but I don't care. I did it and I feel great. Now I can relax and ride fast, but without expectation.

Since I began commuting by bike three or four months ago I have discovered a competitive streak I didn't know I had and I now fancy training up for a race or two next year. I will no doubt be spending way too much money on a quality road bike and quizzing those of you who compete over the coming months. So there!

Comments

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I know I don't know your commute, but I can't believe it takes you 30 minutes. I'm sure I can do it in about 25.

Beat that!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    I did it in 23 mins (No idea what, or where ,like)
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Fixxxer87
    Fixxxer87 Posts: 45
    If my bike wasn't stuck to its lock I'd do it in 22.
    || Commuter: Specialized Langster 2010 [FCN 4] ||| Offroad: Specialized Hardrock Comp 2009 ||
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    SE London too, what's your commute?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • EKE_38BPM
    I heard CafeWanda and LiT raced each other the other day and did it in sub 20.

• gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Mine takes 15 min :wink:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • jonny_trousers
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    I know I don't know your commute, but I can't believe it takes you 30 minutes. I'm sure I can do it in about 25.

Beat that!

Well I'm sure you could, but I bet you ride one of those poncy, big-wheeled "North London" bikes rather than a piece of Crystal Palace class like mine...

0.jpg
  • EKE_38BPM
    That actually made me laugh out loud.

So much so, that I had to type the words out rather than use some stupid TLA.

• rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    I hope you're going to be updating the times on the cycling superhighway signs to reflect reduced commute times.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    So I did it! I broke the 30 minute commute! I know it is utterly meaningless to you lot, but I don't care. I did it and I feel great. Now I can relax and ride fast, but without expectation.
    Result!! Good effort there. One of my first threads on here a couple of years ago was about getting mine down to under 1 hour; some good tips came back and I managed it. It no longer matters - 1h 5 is now a good time, but doing the sub 1 hour blast was a real Monkey Off The Back moment.

You can get back to enjoying the ride now. Unless your commute is only 3 miles, in which case 30 mins is absolutely pitiful and you should be ashamed of yourself young man. :)
  • I still want to get mine under 30 mins, my record is 32:23, so a long way to go. Bear in mind though, this will take an average speed of 25 mph, so I don't think I'll be doing it soon.

If only I didn't have to slow down so much in Portobello, but there's a choice of a mile or so full of Peds, or a mile or so full of traffic lights and slow traffic.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    I still want to get mine under 30 mins, my record is 32:23, so a long way to go. Bear in mind though, this will take an average speed of 25 mph, so I don't think I'll be doing it soon.

If only I didn't have to slow down so much in Portobello, but there's a choice of a mile or so full of Peds, or a mile or so full of traffic lights and slow traffic.

Sounds like you need to head out in the middle of the night to set a blistering PB. You wouldn't be the first person to do this.....
  • jonny_trousers
    I still want to get mine under 30 mins, my record is 32:23, so a long way to go. Bear in mind though, this will take an average speed of 25 mph, so I don't think I'll be doing it soon.

Your commute is clearly way longer than mine. I am both humbled and impressed.

To be honest yesterday's minor triumph probably was as much to do with getting lucky with the lights as it was me pushing myself harder than normal. I like tio ride fast for the simple reason that I enjoy the buzz of a good cardio workout, but I doubt I come close to the average speed of many of you guys here. One day though...

It's just a silly achievement made and I can now look elsewhere for the next challenge. Beating 30 minutes on the return journey with the inclines perhaps?
  • Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    So do we get any details of the commute? Distance / terrain / location?

I remember when I finally got my 9 miler under 30 mins after months of trying.
    Record now is 28.30 with an average speed of 18.3mph
  • Allez Mark
    Allez Mark Posts: 364
    Well I'm sure you could, but I bet you ride one of those poncy, big-wheeled "North London" bikes rather than a piece of Crystal Palace class like mine...

Fantastic picture. It made me smile so much. I learnt to ride on one of them.
  • I still want to get mine under 30 mins, my record is 32:23, so a long way to go. Bear in mind though, this will take an average speed of 25 mph, so I don't think I'll be doing it soon.

Your commute is clearly way longer than mine. I am both humbled and impressed.

To be honest yesterday's minor triumph probably was as much to do with getting lucky with the lights as it was me pushing myself harder than normal. I like tio ride fast for the simple reason that I enjoy the buzz of a good cardio workout, but I doubt I come close to the average speed of many of you guys here. One day though...

It's just a silly achievement made and I can now look elsewhere for the next challenge. Beating 30 minutes on the return journey with the inclines perhaps?

** Cough ** Massive tailwind ** Cough **
  • jonny_trousers
    Matt.K wrote:

Crystal Palace to Covent Garden (about 7.5 miles). Pathetic by most people's standards, I'm sure, but I was just excited about my own personal triumph; forgive me.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Yep. That's right. Sub 15 actually 8)
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Cafewanda wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Well, CafeWanda was sub-15. I think I was a shade over.

She used the bike pictured above, which frankly amounts to cheating.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Cafewanda wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

OK so LiT probably did it in 10mins, but I can dream about mine can't I? :D
  • Matt.K wrote:

Crystal Palace to Covent Garden (about 7.5 miles). Pathetic by most people's standards, I'm sure, but I was just excited about my own personal triumph; forgive me.

I suspect you have a few more traffic lights to contend with than I do. I'd say that in Central London, that's going some.
  • Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    I wouldnt say pathetic.

90% of my commute is rural roads so the only thing slowing me down is my own fitness.
    If it was all urban I'm sure it'd be a bit slower.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Matt.K wrote:

Dunno, I'd be happy with that. I don't know my commuting PB yet - normally tend to do a bit under 30mins for my 6 miles. Not pootling but not giving it some either. May need to start the stopwatch and find my PB.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I finally got mine to be sub-hour from the new office last night.

I did have to switch routes (a shade longer, fewer traffic lights), and use the fast road bike to do it, though.

I have been tempted by the middle of the night all out sprint idea, though... I reckon sub-45 minutes shouldn't be too hard. Even 40 seems plausible...
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    My commute from Brockley to Chancery Lane usually takes me 22-23 mins. I find it hard and pretty meaningless to try to beat that though as even if I'm feeling really fresh and ready to go one day, I may end up hitting red lights all the way, or traffic queues up OKR etc. There are just too many other factors affecting my commute time, it's not just down to sheer leg power on the day.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.