Laugh all you like...

Fixxxer87
Fixxxer87 Posts: 45
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
...but my poor Langster is currently stuck on its lock, attatched to a steel post in the underground bike parking at work! And after all the issues I've had with it with the BB and hub thread too.

I'm begining to think someone doesn't want me to ride a fixie.

Anyway, I was about to take unlock it when..snap..the tip of the key comes off and lodges itself in the lock. I haven't tried anything yet, and I was originally going to call a locksmith (I may still do so if other methods fail).. I didn't have any tools with me at the time so I couldn't tell whether the tip of the key is loose in the lock or whether it's firmly lodged in. I vainly gave the lock a shake to see if it would fall out, but not luck.

Has anyone else had a similar problem, and more importantly, a solution? I'm currently thinking of acme style giant magnets...
|| Commuter: Specialized Langster 2010 [FCN 4] ||| Offroad: Specialized Hardrock Comp 2009 ||

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    That's annoying.

Tweezers?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Something grabby. Needle nosed pliers?
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Fixxxer87
    I was considering some lubricant spray (not WD40) or even, uh, well, 'other' lubricant although it could make it quite difficult to remove with something grabby. :?
    || Commuter: Specialized Langster 2010 [FCN 4] ||| Offroad: Specialized Hardrock Comp 2009 ||
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    angle grinder
  • Fixxxer87
    bunter wrote:
    angle grinder

Tempting. I'd like to avoid not spending £50 on another lock though...
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    How much will a locksmith charge?
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    How much of the key is in the keyway?

The important thing to remember is that you want the plug of the lock to turn; that's the easiest way out of your predicament. Usually the turning is prevented by the lock's pins, but if you've got the keyed part of the key (geddit?) in the lock and it's straight, you should be able to shove the stub of the handle hard into the keyway, then using either friction or a tiny skinny blade turn the plug.

Make sure you're trying to turn it the correct way. It sounds silly but if you're holding the hull of the lock still with your knees, holding a torch in your teeth and standing over it, it's more easily done than I'd like to admit.

Depends on the lock though... Some of them are actually decent.

Edit PS: I doubt you'll have much luck with magnets; many keys aren't magnetic, and even then you'll have the body of the lock to contend with.

If there isn't enough of the key in the keyway to be useful, then you might want to try making a broken key extractor. You can have some luck by heating a pin or a needle in a gas flame and bending it; it'll just crack if you try bending it cold.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    you could try a dab of suerglue on a pin or the remnant of the key to try and remove the offending bit. assuming you've got a spare or are happy to shell out for a replacement.

I'd guess a locksmith or cutting the thing and buying a new one would be similarly costly.
  • I smell a Krypronite lock. As the locksmith who angle-ground through mine said, "Get an Abus, they know keys".

He'd spent ages trying to pick the lock but it wasn't possible, even with the end of the key helping out. In short, Kryptonite - nice locks, but they make the keys out of cheese.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    +1 to trying to turn the lock with the rest of the key pushed in hard.

Putting superglue on the key may work, but it'd have to be such a minute amount in order to avoid it overspilling into the lock and making matters worse.

Make sure the barrels of the lock are aligned, then push it in, hold it firmly and try to turn it. You might get lucky.

Then buy an Abus lock!
  • Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    I had an Abus lock once... the key snapped off in the lock!

Luckily it snapped with a bit still sticking out so I was able to come back at it with some needle nose pliers to pull it out then use the spare key to get the lock off.

If using superglue I'd apply it to the end of a matchstick first then carefully try and get it attached to the end of the key, otherwise it's going to end up with half a key firmly glued into the lock.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Colleague of mine managed to snap the key of his Kryptonite lock off in the lock as you describe. He ended up having to get a locksmith out. The locksmith cuoldn't do anything and in the end angle ground the lock apart. Apparently it took him quite a while which says something for the strength of the metal in kryptonite locks. I've got a Kryptonite D lock and when new there was a tag attached to the key that specifically says make sure that the key is fully inserted in the lock before twisting
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • To give Krypronite their due, they did reimburse me for the locksmith and replace the lock. Which I promptly returned to CRC for a refund and got an Abus.