Ben Nevis

patchesuk
patchesuk Posts: 96
edited May 2012 in Routes
Does anyone know the legalities about riding ben nevis?

Thinking of acsending around 8pm and doing a night ride down.

Clint.
Think I need a bigger Garage.

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's scotland, so ride it :wink: But a night descent on unfamiliar, non-purpose-built trails up a proper big mountain might not be the wisest thing to do IMO.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Axleuk
    Axleuk Posts: 81
    patchesuk wrote:
    Does anyone know the legalities about riding ben nevis?

Thinking of acsending around 8pm and doing a night ride down.

Clint.

I climbed Ben Nevis 2 weeks ago and got to the peak at about 21:45. We ended up doing a night decent with headlamps (and in a torrential rain and wind I might add)

Now, I don't know how many routes up and down there are but I can assure you there is no way you will be able to take a bike up there. I could barely walk on the path in some places.

The amount of people up and down everyday would make riding a nightmare even if the path was suitable.

If anything then common sense would tell you to stay away with anything on wheels.

If you do decide you are going to go for it I want to wish you the best of luck.
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    Have you ever been up Ben Nevis? The usual route has lots extended sections of rock steps which would be seriously slippy when wet. Add to that you do get pretty close to some pretty steep slopes where you will go a long way if you fall off (as well as some vertical ones near the top :wink: ). Feasible in daytime, but probably not much fun, but really not at night....
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • Raphe
    Raphe Posts: 48
    Not sure about legal or not but you would really piss off a lot climbers and walkers. Even on the "tourist route" it can be a tricky ascent and takes 7 hours, and that's properly kitted out. The weather can kill you there nevermind taking a spill off a bike.
  • Raphe
    Raphe Posts: 48
    wee wee off? Seriously? You can't post p**s o*f without it auto changing?

I could be barred from referring to myself as a Scottish male if people start thinking I used the phrase ”wee wee” in this, or come to think of it any, context.

I’m so ashamed.
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    ALXEUK, i think i saw you. from camp that is when it started pissing down noticed some walkers towards the top with head torches. we had a rather leaky tent that night. do you know why the search and rescue helli was out a little earlier
  • Axleuk
    lugsey2k5 wrote:
    ALXEUK, i think i saw you. from camp that is when it started pissing down noticed some walkers towards the top with head torches. we had a rather leaky tent that night. do you know why the search and rescue helli was out a little earlier

Sat 3rd is when we climbed Ben Nevis so it was not 2 weeks as I had thought but the conditions sounded the same. Did not get back to the carpark until 2am soaking, cold and grateful to be down safely. I lost count of the number of frogs I stood on making the descent.

When were you camped up there?

(Sorry to hijack the thread)
  • lugsey2k5
    lugsey2k5 Posts: 960
    i was up there 9th,10th,11th so wasn't you then but scenario sounded the same. we stayed at the glen nevis camp site was there to ride the nevis range. was gooood

on the thread topic though i have rode helyveln and although that was good as an experience the decent wasnt amazing. ben nevis would prob be the same and id certainly avoid it at night but walkers in the day would just get into the way
  • I remember MBR featuring a Big Mountains article for a couple of months last year featuring Snowdon and Ben Nevis. They include routes up etc. I think Ive got it so I'll have a dig around to give you issue number.

Also I don't think Scotland's like Wales eg for Snowdon there are time restrictions. And also in Scotland isn't it roam wherever you like?
    Giant XTC SE 2006
    Cube LTD Race 2009
    Trek Fuel EX 9
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    The CIC Hut descent looks better than the tourist path...and will be far less busy with walkers...

but...wouldn't do it blind run at night.....start early in the ayems
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • patchesuk
    patchesuk Posts: 96
    Thanks for the replies... don;t want to piss off the red sock brigade which is why I am thinking about a night ride.

For those you questioned... yes I have been up before, I am more than aware of weather conditions and appropriate precautions etc. As for ridability, those who mentioned the main walkers trail, that is exactly the route I was thinking. We intend to walk up most of it with the bike to be honest.. it's all about the descent. last time I did the walk, took about 3.5hrs to summit so not a huge walk. I mean, last time i was there I couldn't believe the amount of chavs pondering up in flip flops and addidas trainers! Proper tourist train path. Again... hence the only viable option being a night ride.

I reckon it is a more than accesible ride... only one part springs to mind that would be dodgy to ride at night, about 1/4 way up on the switch back before the tarn there is that huge bouldery step section.

As for the rest, we're not going to be hooning it down, so all of it is ride-able. Got a Petzel MYO RXp hd torch and a Nuke proof reactor extreme for plenty of visability. Likewise, planning it for a clear night.

Just wanted ot check the legalities first. As long as the weather is good, i'll post some photos!
    Think I need a bigger Garage.
  • Axleuk
    patchesuk wrote:
    Thanks for the replies... don;t want to wee-wee off the red sock brigade which is why I am thinking about a night ride.

For those you questioned... yes I have been up before, I am more than aware of weather conditions and appropriate precautions etc. As for ridability, those who mentioned the main walkers trail, that is exactly the route I was thinking. We intend to walk up most of it with the bike to be honest.. it's all about the descent. last time I did the walk, took about 3.5hrs to summit so not a huge walk. I mean, last time i was there I couldn't believe the amount of chavs pondering up in flip flops and addidas trainers! Proper tourist train path. Again... hence the only viable option being a night ride.

I reckon it is a more than accesible ride... only one part springs to mind that would be dodgy to ride at night, about 1/4 way up on the switch back before the tarn there is that huge bouldery step section.

As for the rest, we're not going to be hooning it down, so all of it is ride-able. Got a Petzel MYO RXp hd torch and a Nuke proof reactor extreme for plenty of visability. Likewise, planning it for a clear night.

Just wanted ot check the legalities first. As long as the weather is good, i'll post some photos!

Going up with a bike in tow is heck of an achievment in itself. If you can pull this off then you can truly lay claim to the term 'Epic Ride'

Good Luck!
  • sblack650
    sblack650 Posts: 1
    I was considering doing this myself and was searching to see if many others had attempted it.

I've descended Donard before, well from just above the saddle because of depleting light and the fact i only had a crapy head torch for light. I was properly prepared for adverse weather and emergency.

Would be good to know if you have done this, how it went ect. Reading this thread has put me of a bit, think pissing of walkers and hikers is the biggest worry and the fact that it's an unfamiliar area to me, but I'm sure it's similar terrain to Donard, rough as!