datasone Posts: 35
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi. I have just spent the best part of £400 on

2 ground anchors
2 1.5 metre chains
2 D Locks
4 cable locks

all kryptonite new york fahgetaboudit.

I know nothing is theft proof but hopefully this will stop the low life scum.

Anyway, I am interested to hear everyone elses experiences.

Have you ever secured your bike thinking it could not possibly be nicked, and has been ?

Also has someone attempted to nick your bikes unsuccessfully, and what locks were you using ?

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Have you thought about an alarm? there are some motorbike type disk locks around that can be fitted around the chain. There is a good thread on Lfgss about it - worth searching for.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    datasone wrote:
    Also has someone attempted to nick your bikes unsuccessfully, and what locks were you using ?

I have once, forget which one it was, but a D-lock of some description.

Secured bike to a sheffield hoop, attempted to break it by picking the bike up and twisting it around to lever it (!).

What actually happened was that both lock and top tube were damaged. And then the lock needed grinding off to free it.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133

My mate had his lock cut (el-cheapo one), but they left the bike. They did yank the gear cables though, just to be n*bs.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Where are you securing it though?

I used to keep my bike in the secure cycle parking area of my apartment block. It's very secure, but that didn't stop somebody who lives in my building from helping themselves to a few bits of my bike! :evil:
  • datasone
    datasone Posts: 35
    ground anchors are bolted into the garage floor (concrete) so won't be easy to remove
    but interested to hear what has worked / not worked.
  • marchant
    marchant Posts: 362
    I had an attempt to steal my last bike thwarted by my Halfords own brand D-lock

This is what they did, plus attempts to pry the D from the lock body.
    cropmedo.jpg

I used to leave my locks chained to a railing at work, but one disappeared overnight (?) so I carry them with me.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A Friend at Uni had his expensive combination lock knicked while they left the aweful bike it was securing where it was......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.