Bike set-up for complete novice with not a clue...

adethecat
adethecat Posts: 2
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi,
I managed to snaffle a Cannondale F4 Z 2009 brand new off of ebay for a competative price.... but haven't a clue how to set it up!
I put the seat up a bit and thats about it. Mainly use it on road but am getting bad butt pain and also numbish hands after a couple of hours and an aching neck.
Any advice greatfully recieved !
Ade

Comments

• x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Welcome Ade,

To me, it sounds as though you might be a bit over perched on the bike.

The tell tale sign is the numbish hands as they maybe supporting to much of your body weight.

I had this problem when I bought a Scott Scale which is designed as an all out cross country speed machine. To achieve this, the frame angles made the rider perched which didn't suit me, therefore I changed the stem to a shorter and higher one along with riser bars to adjust my body position.

Another cause could be that your saddle is too far forward (or possibly too far back), but first get the height correct.

Best way to get the seat height correct is to put the pedal at it's lowest position sit on the bike in the riding position (get someone to support you) and when your heal is on the pedal, your leg should be almost straight. If you are stretching to position your heal, then it's too high, if your leg is too bent, then it's too low and you won't get the full power of your thighs through the crank.

Once the height is sorted, adjust your saddle so that when the pedal is in the forward position (so both pedals are level, one back, one forward), your knee cap should intercept the line of the spindle of the pedal. This is just a rough setting to start with.

Give that a go and if you find you are still perched over the bars, you may have to invest in a different handlebar stem and/or riser bars.

Of course, saying all this, if you are new to mountain biking, it could just be your body aching whilst it builds fitness.
    Craig Rogers
  • Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    At the very least you want your seat post (when sat on the bike) to allow you to have a slight bend in your knee when the crank pedal is at it's lowest position. If you leg cannot go through a full range on motion (seat too short) you will tire out very quickly and not maximise your efforts.

With the post too long you'll lock your leg out and loose connection with the pedals, adjust to what you feel comfortable - you will notice quickly with this advice as a basis.

You also want to adjust your shifter and brake levers to an angle that is comfortable for your wrists. The general rule; again whilst sat on the bike the levers should be in line with the top of your shoulders following down your arms. If the you have to bend you wrists up to reach your levers they are set at the wrong angle. i.e. move them down and fine adjust when your out using an alan key if required.

Every time I see a new bike the levers are perfectly flat on the bars, why do bike builders do this?

Enjoy your riding btw mate :)
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...