Hopefully not a sign of things to come

supersonic
supersonic Posts: 82,708
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Bike value that is. Take a look at this Trek:

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... ?&id=14335

£800? Things really do look grim if that's the level of kit you get for 800 quid.

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Fork's a bit lame, but it's not that far off current stuff really. We knew prices were gonna go up again after all.
  • supersonic
    The rest isn't too hot, very bargain bucket Shimano brakes and hubs. Flashy XT mech. Seems more sever this year than ones before. Just look at this for 370 quid:

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... ?&id=14282

7 speed freewheels, tourney gears. Awful.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    That one's really crap! Oh well, hopefully my Fuel will now sell for more! :-)
  • mikee1979
    mikee1979 Posts: 151
    £800 and just Suntour Forks, that is pretty dire.

I'm so glad I bought this year.
  • alexj2233
    alexj2233 Posts: 381
    That has a worse spec than the carerra vulcan which can be got for £350.

Does look quite cool though :lol:
  • hbrashaw
    hbrashaw Posts: 286
    about a year ago, i bought a rockrider 5 xc for £370, and it had very similar spec to that trek, in some places better, ie sram x5 gears 9 speed, juicy 3 brakes, xcr LO forks, although that is partly the brand
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    supersonic wrote:

£800? Things really do look grim if that's the level of kit you get for 800 quid.

Especially when you don't get a chain or tubes :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • supersonic
    It is the budget bikes that worry me most. There is a pretty steep curve as performances increases when we see damped forks, 8 speed drivetrains and even hydro discs. 7 speed frewheels though, yuk, those with 300 quid or so are gonn be buggered unless they get Krakens or Rockriders lol.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Glad I bought in the back end of 08!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565

Snap, my 350 quid Rockhopper would be about a grand by those standards!
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    supersonic wrote:
    The rest isn't too hot, very bargain bucket Shimano brakes and hubs. Flashy XT mech. Seems more sever this year than ones before. Just look at this for 370 quid:

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... ?&id=14282

7 speed freewheels, tourney gears. Awful.

I was about to guffaw at the 3700, but the 4300 has Spinner forks now. I'm sure last years had Rock Shox, or at least something that didn't look like the forks you'd find on a £75 Reebok special.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i can not believe how pricey bike stuff is, if you really look at it there isnt a massive ammount going on with a bike so how can they be so pricey.

as mentioned by others above, im glad i did all of my bike buying a couple of years ago, modern prices are mental.

i understand that we as consumers had got used to prices which were long over due an increase but i would say the price of bike stuff is more related to the money we are prepared to spend as opposed to the value of the products we buy.
  • Bikes are shockingly expensive at the moment. It's pretty dire when you have to fork out £400 or more for an entry level bike.
  • MattMTB
    MattMTB Posts: 95
    Bikes are shockingly expensive at the moment. It's pretty dire when you have to fork out £400 or more for an entry level bike.

Agreed. Manufacturers are getting greedy cos of all people able to purchase on C2W schemes and generally people prescribing to the idea that 'you have to spend £2k to get a decent full susser' etc.

All that's happened is that bikes that would have been worth £1k a few years ago have gone up in price to meet people's expectations of how much they 'should' be spending.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998

Snap, my 350 quid Rockhopper would be about a grand by those standards!

I'm so glad I paid £750 for my Boardman Pro! It was a bargain compared to it's normal price. Which was a bargain compared to other bikes in 08/09. Which were all bargains compared to now :shock:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    I've been on the lookout for a new bike to replace the Avalanche... I've decided not to bother for now. In 7 years the price has gone up £300 and the spec looks about £100 more.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    What a bunch of pooo, just buy a Fury or for that amount a reba'd and mt65 equipped merlin malt.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • hbrashaw
    ^ says it all really
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    supersonic wrote:

Snap up this years 6300 whilst you can, Trek have just dropped the price of these to £750
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    With all of these price hikes, are we finding that component prices are increasing in the same way? or is it now becoming cheaper to build your own bike.

If it is cheaper to build a PC and build it yourself rather than buy one built, why can't the same be seen in the cycle industry?
  • hbrashaw
    maybe it's easier to build a bike than a PC?
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    hbrashaw wrote:

The opposite is most certainly true. If you have a screwdriver and can do a basic jigsaw; you can build a PC, bikes require tools, patience and a lot of skill.
  • Anonymous
    Kiblams wrote:
    If it is cheaper to build a PC and build it yourself rather than buy one built, why can't the same be seen in the cycle industry?
    the balance seems to change quite regularly with PCs though, for a few years it will be cheaper to build, then after a while, you just cannot beat some prebuilt deals, then it switches back again.

Every time i've looked at new bikes in a "wanting to buy" capacity, buying has always been cheaper than building.
  • Anonymous
    Kiblams wrote:
    hbrashaw wrote:

The opposite is most certainly true. If you have a screwdriver and can do a basic jigsaw; you can build a PC, bikes require tools, patience and a lot of skill.

im not certain building bikes takes all that much skill.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    The skill is making sure you buy the correct stuff for everything to fit....

Just like a motherboard on a PC....
  • Anonymous
    The skill is making sure you buy the correct stuff for everything to fit....

Just like a motherboard on a PC....

fair one, i suppose there is some skill involved in building a bike quickly too.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    :shock: jeez thats bad :shock: glad im not working for a trek dealer :lol:

some brands seem to be really good vfm this year, i noticed that commencal have dropped over £200 off their carbon bikes since 2010, and if whyte can get their new range out at the projected prices, they will be awesome value :)