Cargo bike for £250

ndru
ndru Posts: 382
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I was checking velorution.biz for their cargobikes and I found this:
http://www.velorution.biz/shop/bakfiets-cargobike/
Whatever I choose it says the total amount is £250 for me. Would it be legally binding for them to sell me a bicycle for this amount if I paid online. If that's the case I am so ordering one :)

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Nope. They have to agree to the sale. Some massive companies will occasionally honour the odd sale at a low price due to a bad advert to generate good PR, but they're in no way legally bound to do so.
  • ndru
    It doesn't say it but I think the amount to be paid is the deposit.
    Shame though... I want that bike so badly.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Looks like it's fixed itself, back to £1700.
    I think there's a contract if they take money but not just if there's a misprint or glitch online.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    When I studied GCSE Law (so I'm not exactly Rumpole of the Bailey) I was taught that in the eyes of the law, you are offering the retailer money for an item in their posession and the price listed is simply an indicator of what they might accept were you to offer them some money, however they are not legally bound to sell at that price, they can change their mind at any time. In law, the item is not "on sale" as such, it's just an item they own and you are free to negotiate with them to buy it, but they are not obliged to sell it at all if they don't wish.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • ndru
    Yup it's fixed. I've sent them an email about it.
    I recall a situation where people had to sell their cars for £4000 instead of £40 000 because they made a typo, but that was an ebay sort of transaction. Guess the rules are different there.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    This is all down to Contract Law I'm afraid and starts to get a bit technical - Offer, acceptance, invitation to treat and all that malarky. I think the way that most online retailers protect themselves is by advertising something, they do not HAVE to sell it to you. By providing them with your credit card details etc, you are trying to accept the offer, but in turn, if they do not take the money from your card, they have not entered into the transaction. If they do take the money, then they are on shakier ground.

Basically you are going to have a right old battle if a blatent mistake has been made as per above.