Cycling glove

ahmad9253
ahmad9253 Posts: 3
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Anyone wants to discuss about cycling gloves??

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    4 fingers, 1 thumb. They are made specifically to fit the left and right hand.

Reasons for wearing. Warmth, fatigue reduction and less direct rubbing of the skin.
  • ahmad9253
    ahmad9253 Posts: 3
    This is simple defination of cycling glove. Would you please explain what materials should be used to make a perfect cycling gloves????
  • Chunkers1980
    That's a matter mostly of opinion...
  • That's a matter mostly of opinion...

I find the skin of a virgin Badger makes the most supple, protective and comfortable glove.
  • something lightweight
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    to many variables:

Summer or Winter?
    XC (lightweight focus) or Freeride/DH (protection focus)?
    Budget?

And for the tarts like me - colour?
    (i spend ages on CRC looking for the right shade or orange gloves :oops: )
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Chunkers1980
    That's a matter mostly of opinion...

I find the skin of a virgin Badger makes the most supple, protective and comfortable glove.

Virgin being the word. If they've been tainted then they harden up :wink:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I like cycling gloves....mostly...

some are nasty...i particularly don't enjoy those half finger mitt typed ones...yeuch..

I would however give all gloves the benefit of the doubt before deciding on whether they are naughty or nice.

Some of the nicest ones I have ever had...were a bit naughty....and some of the worst were too nice.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • BigShot
    BigShot Posts: 151
    I got MBUK this month and saw a mini test of gloves. I saw things being marked up and down on grounds of "fit".
    Exception made for really bad, misshapen gloves that would never fit anyone properly... but surely "fit" is a bit more individual than one person sticking 8 pairs of gloves on and seeing which one has the best cut for his hands (and if the photos were anything to go by, that's exactly what happened).

Just a little point that came to mind when I saw that and since this thread seems to be going nowhere from the start I thought I'd air it here.

Completely unimportant, of course... I've already got my gloves. Odd though, and probably a bit annoying if you're a manufacturer and a decent chunk of the riding public now think your gloves are a bad fit. :P
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I make mine out of old innertubes.

Ones with holes poked into them for breathable summer gloves and no holes for waterproof winter ones. Same but without fingers for the road ones.

Actually to answer your question honestly, no I don't want to discuss cycling gloves!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Happy Harry
    Happy Harry Posts: 345
    I've got a Halfords round the corner so when my gloves fall apart/get lost I pop in and buy a pair of whatever's cheapest. Fingerless for summer and fingers in the winter. They do the job fine.
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Wouldn't ride without them. Fingerless gloves have been a revelation over full fingers gloves in the summer. :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I like chainmail ones.
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    I certainly wouldn't recommend the Sealskinz Mountain Bike Waterproof gloves. Although perfect when wearing, they are almost impossible to put back on i.e. you take them off to use phone or eat. The inner skin just doesn't want to let your fingers back in!
    Possible wrong size but perfect fit when I put them on at start of ride.
  • Mynameisdann
    Mynameisdann Posts: 665
    I tend to use gloves from a spiderman costume, never had a funny look yet
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    One of the key materials involved in a really good glove is either the Fox, Giro or Gore logo ;)
    BigShot wrote:
    I got MBUK this month and saw a mini test of gloves. I saw things being marked up and down on grounds of "fit".

Yeah, I always wonder what's meant by that too. "I like this because it fits me, if you're exactly the same size and shape as me I highly recommend it" :lol: Some stuff does fit a bigger range of sizes and shapes due to adjustability and the like, and that's worth marking up but that's about it.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Axleuk
    Axleuk Posts: 81
    Steve_F wrote:
    I make mine out of old innertubes.

Ones with holes poked into them for breathable summer gloves and no holes for waterproof winter ones. Same but without fingers for the road ones.

Actually to answer your question honestly, no I don't want to discuss cycling gloves!

But you just did :)
  • cee
    I like chainmail ones.

I only have 1 chainmail glove...the left hand...

its like this http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk ... 04560.html

I havn't tried it on the bike, but I can honestly say that washing the blood out if it is really satisfying.. :shock:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Axleuk
    Axleuk Posts: 81
    I recently paid £26 on a pair of sixsixone gloves to replace the £5 pair of fingerless (LIDL) spur of the moment ones I had previously.

I initially thought I was mad for spending that much but they felt worn in right off the peg and have are extremely comfortable to wear on rides.

I would happily pay a premium for a well made lasting pair of gloves.
  • Anonymous
    cee wrote:
    I like chainmail ones.

I only have 1 chainmail glove...the left hand...

its like this http://www.thesafetysupplycompany.co.uk ... 04560.html

I havn't tried it on the bike, but I can honestly say that washing the blood out if it is really satisfying.. :shock:
    No no no, you misunderstand. I mean the ones that are posted to you, that you then post to somebody else, who posts them to somebody else and so on. And if you don't an orphan dies.
  • cee
    Oh I hate those.

I tried posting a bloody chainmail glove to someone once....aside from the packaging issues....all i got was a restraining order!

H.G. Wells.
  • Anonymous
    maybe you should have cleaned it first?
  • cee
    yes, a number of people suggested that, but it wouldn't have fitted the ebay item description then would it....

people pay top dollar for my used garments dontchaknow :D

H.G. Wells.
  • i always use my chainmail glove