Taking the long way INTO work.

ktaylor
ktaylor Posts: 58
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
For the first time ever (after four years of commuting) I took the long way INTO work this morning. Fantastic decision on such a glorious, sunny morning.

What's the furthest someone has voluntarily added onto their ride in?

Comments

• vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Last month I have been doing 3 day blocks of long commutes in

The total round trip is only 69km compared with the usual 51km

But the journey in includes two ascents of the 185 metre hill up Ford Street to the top of the Blackdowns
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    About 30 miles in the winter :( , not adding anything to rides in during the summer, save those for riding home, even more pleasurable then.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Tests have shown that my legs don't work terribly well in the morning. I've added 7 miles on a couple of occasions, but it's hard work. Feel much better doing it in th evening.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Bah. I'm never up early enough to do this.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I'm adding a couple of miles every morning now - but that's only because the route is much nicer than the direct one. Takes very little extra time as well.

The fact that I get to see all the yummy mummys on the longer the route is pure coincidence 8)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've added upto 10 miles depending on leg and how early I manage to leave the house

I've got an extended journey in (adding 3.5 miles) which is getting much more regular
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015

Me neither, it's rare that I'm even up early enough to get into work better than an hour late :)
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Aidy wrote:

Me neither, it's rare that I'm even up early enough to get into work better than an hour late :)
    Are you the bloke complaining about numb parts? Get out more... :)
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    ktaylor wrote:
    What's the furthest someone has voluntarily added onto their ride in?

A couple of years ago the other half and I stayed at her parents following a night out. I cycled over after work than the following morning, I set off at 5.30 to ride 70km to work over the Brünigpass (1007m). Normally it's full of traffic, especially in Summer with coaches taking tourists between Interlaken and Luzern, but I had the road to myself with the morning sun rising...perfect!
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    I extend my ride in by 1 extra lap of Parliament Square - it adds nearly 0.2 extra miles

I know, I know, I must be mad to do all that extra riding EVERY commute in to work :oops:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Not on the way in, I leave the house as late as I can push it :P

Journey home extends my 7mile commute to 25 though :D
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    I normally drive part way and ride between 7 and 10 miles to work. Sometimes if I get up early enough I ride the full 22 miles into work. Sometimes.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    schweiz wrote:
    the following morning, I set off at 5.30 to ride 70km to work over the Brünigpass (1007m).

I think we have a winner (assuming your normal route into work isn't something daft like 60km)
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • cyclopsbiker
    cyclopsbiker Posts: 516
    my commute is 9.66km....I've recently been making sure I do at least 10km each way, often adding up to 5.5km on with hills on way home. planning to set off a little earlier to add more on way in
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I extend my 2.5mile route through the city to at least 5miles everyday (head away from work to the river and follow that into work), this is an odd coincedence as I extended it to almost 10miles this morning :D
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    Recently, was just gonna take a quick "long cut" through Richmond park, but it was so lovely ended up doing a full circuit and with the detour to get there made my 8 mile commute up to around 19miles.

Regularyly add 4 miles to the distance on the way in.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I already leave at 5.45am so not too keen to extend the journey in. IF nothing urgent to get home for I'm quite happy (and regularly do) to extend the route home from 16.5 to 20.
  • leehellcat
    leehellcat Posts: 37
    My direct route to work (and winter commute) is 17 miles. I've extended that out to 60 miles a couple of time this year. Normally if I get up early I will do 45-50 miles, to get 60 miles in I really need to be up with/before the sun !
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Norky wrote:
    schweiz wrote:
    the following morning, I set off at 5.30 to ride 70km to work over the Brünigpass (1007m).

I think we have a winner (assuming your normal route into work isn't something daft like 60km)

At the time my normal commute was 13km direct, or the 'normal' extension made it 20km.

New job is 30km with two nice stretches firstly round Lake Luzern and then along the River Reuss. Not extended that yet, but there's always time!
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    normally add 15 miles twice a week on my way home; never on the way in.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Shortest route in is 3.8 miles. I often do 8 and sometimes do 16 miles in.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009