Apparently i'm an arsehole

georgee
georgee Posts: 537
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
After a middle class woman in a Volvo 4x4 pulls out of a side junction on the NKR into the path of three cyclists, under the rational that immediately after turning there is a zebra crossing with two people on it. Obviously it’s the car drivers prerogative to cut up the cyclists as everyone would need stop and it was a solid chance to ‘nip’ (or pulled straight out into the path of’ the cyclists) into the gap.

As I rolled up the outside of the car I tapped the window and said thank you to make her aware there were a few of us there. I was then overtaken and screamed at across her 6 year old daughter sat in the passenger seat. I know I antagonised her so was asking for it, but I was hoping she would have a discussion instead of her screaming off up a side street. But I am amazed at her taking such offence when she is the one who either did not look or consciously made the decision than her practical little town car had the right to pull out on a group of cyclists.

Rant over

Comments

• Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    I am in a big 4 x 4, with a kid in the front seat, ergo I have all rights on the road, whether over cyclists, pedestrians or smaller cars, because I am bigger than they are.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    For anyone subjected to aggressive behaviour from London drivers:

https://secure.met.police.uk/roadsafelondon/
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    Obv I appreciate that you had right of way as you were on the major road, whether you were on a bike or in a car.

But had you been driving, rather than cycling, and were approaching a zebra crossing with two peds on it, immediately after a minor road with a car waiting to come out, would you have (a) pulled up before the junction and let the car out while the peds crossed, or (b) pulled up to the crossing and sat across the bonnet of the car waiting to come out?

And what exactly did you say to her that amounted to being knowingly antagonistic?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    georgee wrote:
    I know I antagonised her so was asking for it, but I was hoping she would have a discussion instead of her screaming off up a side street. But I am amazed at her taking such offence when she is the one who either did not look or consciously made the decision than her practical little town car had the right to pull out on a group of cyclists.
    She was totally on the defensive. I bet she was fully aware how stupid she'd been but too proud to admit it.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Greg66 wrote:
    But had you been driving, rather than cycling, and were approaching a zebra crossing with two peds on it, immediately after a minor road with a car waiting to come out, would you have (a) pulled up before the junction and let the car out while the peds crossed, or (b) pulled up to the crossing and sat across the bonnet of the car waiting to come out?
    There's a junction like this on the NKR by the Duke of Cumberland pub. I tend to let cars out/turn across in that situation.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • ndru
    ndru Posts: 382
    In some countries cars stop before ped crossing if they see a ped waiting, also they usally let a car squeeze in even if they have right of way. They all acknowledge that "love comes back to you". For some reason some cyclist think that starting after stopping is such a big effort that it's not worth it, unless you have now way to go, so they swerve around peds and squeeze between busses just so they don't have to do it. If some car blocks their way they always wag their finger or shake heads in a very patronizing way.
    Now don't get me wrong, obviously there are rude and dangerous drivers out there and some do things intentionally, plus we, the cyclist, feel really vulnerable on our bikes, but does it mean we have to point out every single mistake to every driver we see make it, or should we maybe accept that we are also not perfect and make mistakes ourselves sometimes? Taking a chill pill would be advisable - it makes everyones lives so much more pleasant.
    When I cycle I keep thinking that I am
    a) loosing weight
    b) getting fitter
    c) getting fresh air
    d) enjoying myself
    I think about these four things even harder when a car cuts me up or I have to stop for a ped crossing or a red light.

Finally - I am in no way defending the woman and the tirade she's given you, though I think she might have been in some stress due to what and where to she was driving.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I can slightly see it from the drivers point of view, but only in the fact that recently I had a near miss with a cyclist pulling out at a junction. It was totally my fault, but the whole thing scared me and I shouted at the cyclist, I did apologise to him straight away mind and admitted I didn't see him until the last minute. Thankfully everything was amicable.

Also I didn't have a six year old child sat next to me at the time, it's just bad form to behave like that in front of a child.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    georgee wrote:
    After a middle class woman in a Volvo 4x4 pulls out of a side junction on the NKR into the path of three cyclists, under the rational that immediately after turning there is a zebra crossing with two people on it. Obviously it’s the car drivers prerogative to cut up the cyclists as everyone would need stop and it was a solid chance to ‘nip’ (or pulled straight out into the path of’ the cyclists) into the gap.

As I rolled up the outside of the car I tapped the window and said thank you to make her aware there were a few of us there. I was then overtaken and screamed at across her 6 year old daughter sat in the passenger seat. I know I antagonised her so was asking for it, but I was hoping she would have a discussion instead of her screaming off up a side street. But I am amazed at her taking such offence when she is the one who either did not look or consciously made the decision than her practical little town car had the right to pull out on a group of cyclists.

Rant over

I wonder if she is related to Sturmey? :twisted:
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    Greg66 wrote:

I think this is the point that is making me reflect on my actions, in the car it would most likely have been (a) though like all such situations, it depends on your speed and distance from the junction. But also under (a), if I was the car pulling out I would have make a judgement of whether it was safe and the traffic was allowing me to do so.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    georgee wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:

I think this is the point that is making me reflect on my actions, in the car it would most likely have been (a) though like all such situations, it depends on your speed and distance from the junction. But also under (a), if I was the car pulling out I would have make a judgement of whether it was safe and the traffic was allowing me to do so.

yeah..balancing act aint it...

in the car...i probably would have allowed the driver to pull out of the side street, rather than block them in....

like you say though...she wouldn't have rammed her way into a car that was blocking her would she...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    rarely tap on windows now, well not after the last time, when the driver decided to mow me down with his car.
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Bet she was on the phone as well .
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Kurako wrote:

Thanks for the link. I'm just wondering what if anything the Police do with the information? Any experience with it?
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    RichardSwt wrote:
    Kurako wrote:

Thanks for the link. I'm just wondering what if anything the Police do with the information? Any experience with it?

I have used it. So have a lot of others on here. There's some info here (from Gaz545 who went to meet them):

http://croydoncyclist.wordpress.com/201 ... fe-london/

As I understand they log complaints and send a warning to the registered keeper who may - or may not I spose - modify their behaviour for the better. Certainly as a cyclist its good to know there's a recourse other than screaming abuse and getting into an argument.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    georgee wrote:

Rant over

Volvo 4 x 4, NKR: nuff said.

EDIT: Yes, lazy stereotyping, I know, but I have yet to be proved wrong on that one. I'd like to be though. Be nice if you occasionally saw a bit of mud on those 4 x 4s, know what I mean?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition