I hate summer !

robinta
robinta Posts: 211
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Mtb journalist idealized viewpoint

"summer, roost flying as I corner on hardpacked natural Berms. Weaving through immaculate green singletrack at one with nature every synapse poised to react to keep man and machine as one with the trail. "

My view

Changing my front Tyre to a go faster semi slick one hour before it rains for 24 hours. Singletrack so overgrown I need a f#cking combine harvester to get through., leaving me so scratched and nettled my own kids can't recognise me. Pouring with sweat through every pore. Fighting to get through the legions of walkers, dogs and teens in my way like some crazy video game. Swallowing hordes of insects, midges, flies, you name it.

I'm staying inside until December. Humbug !

(Actually isn't December a bit cold ? )

Comments

• tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    You need to get some altitude: more cooling/insect removing breeze, less/stunted vegetation, walkers/dogs/kids very few and far between.
  • robinta
    I know. Unfortunately I live 0.5 miles from the sea !

I know I'm a miserable twat :(
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    Perhaps, given everything, it's only the fool who aren't miserable.

/philisophically cynical
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    dont be so hard on yourself, we cant all live near the hills :wink:

overgrown tracks are a summer PITA , some of the trails i use (i think i'm the only biker who goes there and only very occasional walkers) are getting silly keep meaning to take some secateurs to at least clip the bigger branches.

some sort of sprayer attached to the bike dispensing agent orange (ok, roundup) would be cool 8)
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    robinta wrote:
    summer, roost flying as I corner on hardpacked natural Berms. Weaving through immaculate green singletrack at one with nature every synapse poised to react to keep man and machine as one with the trail.
    Sounds about right :wink:

I quite enjoy carving a path through the undergrowth and I sweat like a Geordie in a maths test whatever the weather so in Summer I 'look normal'.

Midges and flies are nothing compared to moths, bats & owls
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Hmmm, I love summer, I'm off for a lap of White's Level tonight after work, in winter I'd have to go the gym.
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    Wot a lightweight....

Went out at 7.30pm, (or 19h30 as they would prefer i say here) on monday night for a little 15kms through the local "garrigue", thats sort of a rocky scrubland...

Was still 32°C at that time of night - hot enough to boil a monkeys bum - almost !!

Only thing to do after that is head for the pool - but even in there the water is currently over 30°C !! Which was nice......
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I love summer. Just wish we were actually getting one.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • hehe good read :)

totally agree too :lol:
  • BenS999
    BenS999 Posts: 202
    You brits are always whinging! Too cold in winter - now too hot in summer? I love the summer riding here as its not hot!
    Try SA (I'm South African - no songs please :lol:) summers hitting the mid to late 30's and you can complain!
    And in winter you get all this lovely mud to play in, UK trail riding is fantastic! Now get out and ride no matter what the conditions! :D

Good Aussie joke I heard recently: Whats the difference between a plane landing in Brisbane and a pom landing in Brisbane? After a few minutes the plane stop whining! :lol:

Dont take it too personally! :P

@.blits "I sweat like a Geordie in a maths test " that line is pure gold!
    2011 Orange Five Pro
    On-One Pompetamine Alfine Comp
  • robinta
    I am also a geordie so watch it you southern (hemisphere) gits !
  • Tartanyak
    Tartanyak Posts: 1,538
    Why would any Brit take offense at being told they moan? It's a national sport!
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    i prefer a sunny winters day

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    What gets me, is the flippen pollen, combined with the pollution and humidity in London. Can barely breathe or see at this time of year! Luckily off to Scotland in a couple of days for some respite! :wink:
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Steve_F wrote:
    I love summer. Just wish we were actually getting one.

I don't know about where you are...

But apart from a few wet days recently we've had a great summer so far in South Wales.
  • thedirge
    thedirge Posts: 181
    Could be worse, you could be sweating like a southerner running from an angry Geordie.
    Consequences.... are just a harmless by-product of having a good time, all the time.

Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.