Bad Back

Zombie_donkey
Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I don't know if it is because I fell off the bike on Saturday or the adjustments I have made (SPD pedals and raised saddle) but I keep getting agonising twinges in the middle of my back when I am doing things liek climb some stairs, raising the loo seat. I am also in a bit of discomfort right now, sat at my desk.

I'm staying off the bike for a few days and taking it easy in the hope that it sorts itself out.

I'm just hoping its not some sort of cumlative effect from starting cycling since April.
Giant Escape M1....
Penny Farthing
Unicycle
The bike the Goodies rode
Pogo Stick
Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,

Comments

• bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    my guess would be saddle height. If it is just slightly too high it can hurt your lower back...
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I did a similar thing to myself a couple of years ago when I altered the saddle position. Not sure exactly what it was, and am definitely not a doctor, but I found that stretching, especially the hamstrings, was a great help.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I don't know if it is because I fell off the bike on Saturday or the adjustments I have made (SPD pedals and raised saddle) but I keep getting agonising twinges in the middle of my back when I am doing things liek climb some stairs, raising the loo seat. I am also in a bit of discomfort right now, sat at my desk.

I'm staying off the bike for a few days and taking it easy in the hope that it sorts itself out.

I'm just hoping its not some sort of cumlative effect from starting cycling since April.

"Middle of my back". Middle lumbar, middle abdominal, or middle thoracic?

"Agonizing twinges". As if something is going into spasm, right? But also sound as if you've got some chronic, low level pain as well. In the same place, or differently placed?

Did this come on suddenly? If so, can you recall anything in particular that you might have done in the 24-48 hours before it came on?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    i got something simlar when I set up my new bike. In the end solved the problem by flipping the stem to raise the handlebars up a bit, I think I could achieve the same with a shorter stem. If by raising the seat you have got the right position for pedaling you may be better off looking at changing your setup at the front end.
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Greg66 wrote:

"Agonizing twinges". As if something is going into spasm, right? But also sound as if you've got some chronic, low level pain as well. In the same place, or differently placed?

Did this come on suddenly? If so, can you recall anything in particular that you might have done in the 24-48 hours before it came on?
    Raising the loo seat. I HAVE IT! The OP is constipated.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Greg66 wrote:

Raising the loo seat. I HAVE IT! The OP is constipated.

Hmm. That would certainly explain discomfort whilst seated.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:

Middle Lumbar
    Yes spasm sounds about right and yes in the same place.
    discomfort when seated is now very very mild.

Came on the day after I fell over on the bike with new SPD on.
    I'm going to rest up and see how it goes.

I eat plenty of fibre :lol:
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Can I join in this pain thread too ?

I hurt all over, its weird, just like you would feel if you had been hit by a van.....ohhhhh....wait a second ;)
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    Greg66 wrote:

Middle Lumbar
    Yes spasm sounds about right and yes in the same place.
    discomfort when seated is now very very mild.

Came on the day after I fell over on the bike with new SPD on.
    I'm going to rest up and see how it goes.

I eat plenty of fibre :lol:

Hmm. Location suggests disc problem. The spasming is the muscles around the injured area going apeshit from time to time to protect it. Things like bending to lift a loo seat require a complex muscle firing sequence that includes stiffening your core before you start. If your lumbar area is buffered, the firing sequence goes to pot with the result that at some point in the action there is a big over compensation resulting in a spasm.

Stand naked facing a mirror. Are your hips shifted slightly to one side? Sometimes it is easier to spot by looking for a greater skin crease on one side above the waist. If so, that's one side of your lumbar area musculature locking up a d pulling the other side over.

Google Mackenzie stretches and see if they help. Apart from that, take anti inflams (ibuprofen or voltarol) and get some ice or a frozen gel pack on the afflicted area. Try sleeping on your back but with a pile of cushions under your knees.

Riding a bike with lumbar problems is generally not a good idea.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    gb155 wrote:

I hurt all over, its weird, just like you would feel if you had been hit by a van.....ohhhhh....wait a second ;)

Oi! No slackers in here! You're hard. So harden up, Marine!

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Greg66 wrote:
    gb155 wrote:

Oi! No slackers in here! You're hard. So harden up, Marine!

I've heard his metal bike came off worse than he did, that's pretty hard.