The Tube in this weather

cjcp
cjcp Posts: 13,345
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Had to take the District Line a few stops in yesterday's rush hour.

How in God's name do people do it? It was like sitting in an oven.
FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
"It stays down, Daddy."
"Exactly."

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    try the deep lines if you think the district line is bad
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Ha ha ha ha.

Ha ha ha.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    The Horror. The Horror.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    The guy that sits next to me travels over 2 hours each way from East London to Reading, using sweltering and cramped tube/train lines.

And he calls me mad for doing 10 miles of country lanes on a bike :lol:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • georgee
    georgee Posts: 537
    I did Oxford circus to Canaray Wharf and back yesterday afternoon for a meeting, it was fricking appalling, so glad to get on the bike to head home!
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    MTFU

The lot of you.

My journey consists of (Northern Line) Colliers Wood to Moorgate and then a train from Liverpool Street to Goodmayes (Ilford). Then back.

Not only is it hot, the journey is long, cramped and takes a good 45mins - 1hr of being underground.

I pray for a tube strike.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    I like threads like this.

Motivates me to get on the bike when my legs have had it, rather than take the train.

Keep it up :D
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    MTFU

The lot of you.

My journey consists of (Northern Line) Colliers Wood to Moorgate and then a train from Liverpool Street to Goodmayes (Ilford). Then back.

Not only is it hot, the journey is long, cramped and takes a good 45mins - 1hr of being underground.

I pray for a tube strike.

Hey, at least you've only got one change that's a nice stroll. A good proportion of overland trains are air conditioned, back when I used to commute I waited for the purple ones. Mmmm aircon.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I had one of those 'i love my bike' mornings. Sutton trains were all cancelled from Streatham to London. Brixton tube station was closed and people were fighting over buses.

I cruised past it all. Woop! 8)
  • lost_in_thought
    Oh Em Gee I love it when I'm on the bike and people are scrapping to get into a stinky bus.

:D

Such a beautiful morning. Bit cooler, I liked it.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Sewinman wrote:
    I had one of those 'i love my bike' mornings. Sutton trains were all cancelled from Streatham to London. Brixton tube station was closed and people were fighting over buses.

I cruised past it all. Woop! 8)

yeah this kinda thing always tickles me
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Er walk or cycle :roll:

and DDD shame on you, 1hr on the tube that's just wrong!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I like my aircon better 8)

I've done the tube in rush hour a couple of times. I always pity the poor souls that subject themselves to Dantes next door neighbour every morning.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • lost_in_thought

Huh, it's named after my boss. Does it work as well when you're going up? :P
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015

Are you implying your boss does his/her best work when they're going down?
  • Kieran_Burns

It did this morning :wink: A wonderful ride...
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    @ DDD,
    1. Why not cycle it. Nice easy ride- great weather and a chance to get the miles in. Think of the training.
    2. Whereabouts in Goodmayes do you work? Not much there apart from Tesco is there?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    spen666 wrote:
    @ DDD,
    1. Why not cycle it. Nice easy ride- great weather and a chance to get the miles in. Think of the training.
    2. Whereabouts in Goodmayes do you work? Not much there apart from Tesco is there?

1. I eventually will.

2. I dunno, there are two chicken shops on either side of the road near the trainstation, a McDonalds and a favourite of mine Mirch Masala.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • lost_in_thought
    Aidy wrote:

Are you implying your boss does his/her best work when they're going down?

:lol:

No, my boss is called Bunny.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    No, my boss is called Bunny.

What's the uniform like?
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Kieran_Burns
    I was going to make the comment: does he go at like a rab.... and then decided to not to.

Greg calls LiT a bunny girl.

There is no hope. :lol:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015

There is no hope. :lol:

I dunno, that seems like a pretty good hope to me :)
  • robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    I subjected myself to 3 months of daily commuting from G'ford to Canary wharf and one hot summers day sandwiched between two fat sweaty blokes on an over crowded Jubile Line convinced me to move to London and buy a bike. 8)

I'm back living and working in surrey and cycle everywhere - best move ever

How people continually do it i'll never know.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    dont know youve got it made...

the tube is the best public transport system in the uk......

I gather that there are some issues at the moment with upgrades....but still...

undergrounds as public transport rule.

i hate getting the bus here mind....but thats obviosuly different :D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • I have to sympathise, normally I have a 12 mile return commute but had to travel to London & Canary Wharf today. Romsey to Southampton was fine but the Soton to Waterloo train was plenty warm enough especially as I was suited and booted (a rarity for me) as for the underground, I was coming to the boil quite nicely and despite the aircon at the event I felt compelled to keep my suit jacket on.
    On the way back took the elevated rail link to the Tower and then walked back to Waterloo, nice to see all the cyclists and hordes of runners to boot. Whats with the very narrow bars the cycle couriers use btw ?

Back to the commute tomorrow :)
  • Whats with the very narrow bars the cycle couriers use btw ?
    Hipste^H^H^H^H^H^H aids weaving through traffic pergaps?

Regarding the OP subject, yesterday was a personal best record in terms of perspiration generated whilst remaining stationary.

due to a recent off, & subsequent indolence in replumbing my brakes in favour of European orientation, I have of late been somewhat loth to cycle any real distance one handed (left hand) ...thus lengthy recent tube commutes (watford/harrow-victoria)

Apologies to anyone I dripped upon therein.
    Tube commuting seems to have the same deleterious effect on my household's habitual washing cycle as cycle commuting had previously; e.g. three changes of clothes a day (& 2 showers, 2 sink-showers at work).

Hang out of the carriage door window, it's the only way to stay cool on the deep level lines, though usually unpossible when boarding at central locations, generally due to a rotund individual with arms folded resolutely blocking the space...

roll on autumn
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    edited July 2010
    From a couple of years experience up and down the Victoria Line + SWT's finest vintage rolling stock (before we moved office down to Old Street, and I pulled myself together and started cycling), the trick is to go into a sort of zen-like state of semi-suspended animation. Every now and then, I would forget to snap out of it and miss my stop. Had the whole reading a broadsheet in a confined space thing sussed as well. Only thing is, it's not like riding a bike and you lose your tolerance very quickly. Now that my Oystercard is gathering dust, I'm not sure I could hack it.

EDIT: DDD, don't get too used to the train/tube - it can sort of numb you to the grimness of it after a while. BTW, are your new employers as suspicious of cyclists as you feared?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    I was going to make the comment: does he go at like a rab.... and then decided to not to.

Is that in a "simmering on the hob" sort of a way, or a "well hellloooooo" sort of a way?
  • I miss reading on my bike commute. Nice to get away from it all and loose yourself in another world for 30 mins or so on the train.

As to travelling for meetings, there was a bit on a bike blog about irish businessmen using their version of the boris bikes to get to meetings across town. Looking forward to using the boris bikes when they arrive.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    After 3 months of Barnet to Elephant and Castle by public transport (10 minute walk to train station, train to Kings X, Tube to E&C and 5 minute walk to the office) I decided cycling the 15 miles each way was a much better option.

The final straw was when a bloke who didn't make it onto the train, as it was just too crowded, pushed me in so that the doors would shut and I mouthed "Thank you" to him through the closed door. I realised cattle gets treated better than this and decided to MTFU for commuting the 30 miles each day.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!