How much time do you think Andy can gain on the Tourmalet?

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited July 2010 in Pro race
(Goes with the other poll)
How much time do you think Andy can gain on the Tourmalet?

Comments

• paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Can I just say 'not enough'
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    RichN95 wrote:
    Can I just say 'not enough'

What if Contador has a 'mechanical'? :wink:
  • gethmetal
    gethmetal Posts: 208
    NONE.
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    5 seconds max. I'd like him to take 2 mins but it ain't gonna happen.
  • luckao
    luckao Posts: 632
    gethmetal wrote:
    NONE.

Seems to have been overlooked. I'll opt for it.
  • donrhummy
    Yeah, it wouldn't let me add any more options, but really, 15 seconds is nothing towards the yellow with such a long TT.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    How do you know he wont loose time?
    cartoon.jpg
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    I think he will lose time.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    I'm not so sure Contador is riding that well, think he's bluffing a bit, so I think Schlecky will take some time from him, but how much depends on when he decides to go for it. If he waits until the last few kms, then it won't be too much, maybe a few seconds. But then even if he attacked right from the bottom of the Tourmalet, I don't see him getting more that a minute or so.

Still, quite looking forward to it :D
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    Not enough, I fear.

Better question would be, how much does he need to gain to have a shout?
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    All or nothing for Andy. Needs to go long and hard and see if he breaks Bertie.

Love him to claw back a couple of minutes.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Would love to see him grab enough so that it goes down to the TT but so far he hasn't really shown that he's climbing better than AC. When he had his mechanical AC was catching him. I think they're pretty even but AC has the stronger team and he's much better in the TT.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    Hmm.......can't join in this one I'm afraid.

I think he might lose too. :roll:
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    Yeah, I think AC has been bluffing a bit in the mountains - if Andy actually attacked I don't think he could stay with him.

Probably should have done that a couple of times by now though - 30s here and there could have added up to a nice cushion.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • thomasmc
    thomasmc Posts: 814
    Would like to see him take back the time he lost because of his mechanical. I think he just might!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    +1 for not enough.

If any.

He HAS to attack though or admit defeat so it should be a good day for the viewers :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • plectrum
    plectrum Posts: 225
    I would prefer to vote: Contador takes 1min+ from Schleck on Tourmalet.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Zip. Zilch. Nada. Zero. Bubkiss. None.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    AC is not dominant this year and that is a hard fact. However, I can't believe that AS is 2 mins better. If he is, how on earth has he allowed himself to get into this position? Even allowing for his mechanical robbing us of the chance to see how good he really is. It wasn't the only chance for him to go.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    I dont think shlecks only problem is AC at the moment. I have a feeling its gonna be menchov and sanchez trying to get onto the podium.. If Menchov and Sanchez attack then I suppose AC and AS are going to have to work together to bring them back etc.. I cant wait!! If there are not any fireworks tomorrow then I am gonna be gutted..

E2a: Its very hard to know if AC is off form this year because we have only really seen him attack once when he put those 10 seconds into AS. He might have been riding a very clever race to avoid the yellow jersey so there was no for his team to go so deep..
    cartoon.jpg
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Tourmalet is much more fun on skis :lol::lol:
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    +1 Nowt
  • Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Pretty sure that Schleck will beat Contador tomorrow, but I'd be surprised if he got any more than 30 seconds.

Contador will absolutely take him apart in the final TT and could even place in the top five on the stage.
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    Andy will lose time to Contador tomorrow.

Then Alberto will apologize.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I'd like Andy to take as much time as possible - however, given that he's lost his 31 sec lead, I worry about his mental state now in a 1-on-1 with Contador given that he's now 8 sec behind (with the TT coming up) - he might just crack and give up (hope he dopesn't) - if Andy still had his 31 sec lead, I'd feel very confident he could take it to Contador with a positive attitude and probably come out with good results (Andy could have been 1 minute up after tomorows Tourmalet in this scenario). Contador knows Andy will attack - he might attack first to try and neutralise Andy and take the sting out of him - or he might just give everything to stay with a flying Andy when he attacks - either way, its going to be hard for Andy. Wish him all the best though - Cycling needs a new Winner. I'd be bored shatless seeing Contador clean up over the next 5 years.
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Doobz wrote:
    I dont think shlecks only problem is AC at the moment. I have a feeling its gonna be menchov and sanchez trying to get onto the podium.. If Menchov and Sanchez attack then I suppose AC and AS are going to have to work together to bring them back etc.. I cant wait!! If there are not any fireworks tomorrow then I am gonna be gutted....
    I agree. Normally one would expect Menchov to gain over a minute on Sanchez in the TT, so tomorrow is Sanchez’s last chance. I wouldn’t be surprised he tried to make a break for it halfway up the Soulor. And if Menchov goes after him, maybe joins him, while the other two are still eyeing each other up, then …
    I rather hope something like that happens.

I can imagine it as tactics too, in order to put Schleck under pressure already on the descent.
  • donrhummy
    inseine wrote:
    Would love to see him grab enough so that it goes down to the TT but so far he hasn't really shown that he's climbing better than AC. When he had his mechanical AC was catching him. I think they're pretty even but AC has the stronger team and he's much better in the TT.

What could you possibly be basing that on? Contador wasn't shown on ANY camera until Andy already had his mechanical. Vino was shown on camera riding his butt off to catch him (and Liggett thought at first that was Contador) but Contador didn't appear on any camera till after because he was pretty far back in the peleton.