Campsites in Kirroughtree etc..

Ross_Davidson
Ross_Davidson Posts: 143
edited July 2010 in Routes
Hello i am going to Scotland for a week on sunday and starting at Glentress , in which im staying there for 3 days. After that i plan to head towards Kirroughtree , just wondering does anyone recommend any campsites around this area for a motorhome and tent? I also want this caravan site to be close to some of the other 7 stanes if thats possible, dont mind a 30min drive etc..

Anyway just let me know about any campsites which are close or in Kirroughtree :)

P.S how far are the following from each other

Kirroughtree to Glentrool
Kirroughtree to Dalbeatie
Glentress to AE forest

Thanks for your help guys :D

Regards Ross.
Specialized Stumpjumper Pro M5 2010 ( http://www.flickr.com/photos/77613366@N ... /lightbox/ )

Comments

• weescott
    weescott Posts: 453
    Kippford holiday park is right next to Dalbeattie. Cycle out the entrance, turn left, go down the road about 300yards, turn right onto a forestry road, another 300yards and you are half way round the trail. No driving required. 8) It's good location between Kirroughtree (1hr), Mabie and Ae too. It's a very nice campsite in mature landscaped grounds. The pub down the road is good. That sold it for me. :p
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's about 2 hours from Kirroughtree to GT... For locations just check out the 7 stanes website, it's very good.

Oh, one thing I'd suggest, forget Ae, it really doesn't have enough good trails to justify the effort it takes to ride it, far too much filler and fireroad. Drumlanrig gets missed out because it's not a Stane but it's a far, far better use of your time unless you're a downhiller.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Don't forget to squeeze Mabie in- better than AE IMO.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Yup, definately, good point. It gets forgotten, and OK it's short and a bit worn out in places but it's stll a lovely route. Quite different from most of the Stanes but I loved it.
    Uncompromising extremist