Lanzarote cycle routes and what should I take

gwillis
gwillis Posts: 998
edited July 2010 in Tour & expedition
Im off the Puerto Calero in a few weeks and have managed to borrow a bike box to take my bike with me. Does anybody have or know of any good routes in that area. I have never taken a bike away before so any tips on what to take etc would be great.

Just dont want to get there and be worried about where to go etc

Comments

• sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    if you want climbs head to Femes near Playa Blanca, also the ride to Timanfaya National Park is very good.

Be prepared for wind and a strong one at that, I got blown up a hill at one point it was that bad. Can make it seem a lot colder than it is.

What side of the island is Puerto Calero on not stayed there before ?
  • gwillis
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    North of Costa Teguise, CT, nice roads, hilly up to the radio mast. Cave near by.
    If your doing off road, trails from CT to the North, via small villages on jeep tacks.

There's some great roads/views to the small island off the coast, think its opposite nice fishing village, with great fish restaurants.

Take EVERYTHING with you, as shop in CT was closed down last time I went.
    Most hire shops VERY basic. Put some Mr Tuffy type tape in your tyres, as thorns, cactus and volcanic dust very sharp/abrasive. LOTS of fluid too, not many stops on the island.

Been twice, Costa Teguise and South near Rohas Montana, Red Mountain.
    Good off road to extincT volcanoE, and you can ride 90% of the caldera.
    16 min climbs up, about 5 down.
  • gwillis
    we are near to femes, looks great. Will take plenty of spare tubes just in case and a windstopper jacke to be on the safe side...... cant wait