Pedal for Scotland Glasgow to Edinburgh ?

jackthelad
jackthelad Posts: 89
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
guys was thinking of doing the glasgow to edinburgh run in Sept.Was wondering what kind of roads and paths the route consists of,so i know which tyres to put on the bike

any help appreciated

jackthelad

Comments

• ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    It is normally all tarmac, sometimes it goes through the cobbles at Sth Queensferry
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    There is a route guide on the website and it looks like it's all road with a bit of paved path.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    This was the route last time I did it.
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Pe ... tland-2007
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • jackthelad
    jackthelad Posts: 89
    hi guys thanks for the replies

I was going to use the tricross with 700x28c nimbus armidillo or continental gp4000s 700x23c,would these tyres be alright for the route

jackthelad
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    jackthelad wrote:
    hi guys thanks for the replies

I was going to use the tricross with 700x28c nimbus armidillo or continental gp4000s 700x23c,would these tyres be alright for the route

jackthelad

Both times I did it I used 200x23C UltraSports.
    I had a visit from the fairy in 2007 but it was chucking it down and could probably have happened when I hit the sleeping polisman at Dumpellier. It was flat enough to be a problem not long after the climb out of Queensferry.

I'm sure I've seen guys doing it on 18's.
    Just wheel suck a fat guy on a mountain bike makes it so much easier.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • This sounds like a great opportunity to get a bit of cycling done. What food would you need to carry for a 51 miler ?
    Trek 1.5 Triple 2011 Black
    GT Avalanche 1 MTB 2007 Steel Blue
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    There is supposed to be food stops every 10 miles so you would probably not need to carry anything. ofc I don't know what food the stops would have.
  • sws
    sws Posts: 81
    If it was like last year, water & bananas at the first, same at second with cakes I think (only stopped to use the loos at that one), Soup, roll, bananas, tunnock wafers at Linlithgow. Plenty to keep you going.
    2010 Trek 1.2
    2013 Merida Scultura Comp 903