Ideas for a first folding bike

Mr Tom
Mr Tom Posts: 66
edited July 2010 in Road general
I often make the train journey from Teddington to Waterloo station (about 35 mins on a stopping service) and was thinking of trying to save some money on fares. Although I've done the ride into central London a few times, I find it too far to do regularly. So, I was thinking of getting a folding bike and riding a few stops at each end of the journey, as many as I felt up to doing, then letting the train do the rest.

So... would anyone be able to suggest a first bike for this? I can only spend £400 to £500 max. I was thinking a Dahon Vitesse D7 or Curve D3. Also, I'm 6 foot 2, so anyone who knows a good folder for a taller person please let me know :D Thanks!!
Orbit Fast Tour
Mondia 96 (Belgian 'Dutch' bike)
Ridgeback Envoy

Comments

• jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    A to B Magazine forum and Dahon Folding bike forum are two websites you may want to look at. The Folding society also have a website. I Imagine :london commuter trains during rush hour must be strict for bikes.A to B magazine are up to date with the rules. An ultra cheap import on e bay maybe worth the risk but expect to be outbid if going for a Dahon or Bromptom which go for siily prices..Best buy one of these new cos an expensive service may be needed to make as new.
    jc
  • Mr Tom
    Mr Tom Posts: 66
    Thanks jc4lab. I'll check those sites out. I think buying new is definitely better. It seems like folding bikes have some unusual parts, especially the Brompton, so not sure I could fix them up myself. I had a look at some Dahons and Bromptons in On Your Bike in London Bridge and they all seemed really nice! Going to have to start saving up!!
    Orbit Fast Tour
    Mondia 96 (Belgian 'Dutch' bike)
    Ridgeback Envoy