Armstrong - worst socks in the Peloton?

IronHorse100
IronHorse100 Posts: 302
edited July 2010 in Pro race
why does he insist on wearing those awful long grey socks? Looks like he's jumped straight off the school bus and hasn't had time to change. Apparently though, he's not a bad cyclist.

boysSocks.jpg

Comments

• Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    The shots of him from behind look like he's wearing school socks and loafers
  • Nah Wiggins. Got to be. Black socks, its just a no-no. Looks like an actaury on holidays wearing shorts trainers and black socks. Its a disgrace. Shameful. he might as well have a knotted handkerchief on his head.
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    Nah Wiggins. Got to be. Black socks, its just a no-no. Looks like an actaury on holidays wearing shorts trainers and black socks. Its a disgrace. Shameful. he might as well have a knotted handkerchief on his head.

Ah don't be such a snob
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    [GokWang] To be fair, Armstrong's grey socks match the grey on the RS kit, and Wiggins's black socks match Sky's black kit [/GokWang]
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    Never mind the socks, Brad's shoes are minging
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    I have never understood the geeky obsession with people's socks. I think that's when some of you need to see a little sunlight and not worry about trivial things such as what colour socks "you" prefer people to wear.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788

Lance has the worst shoes too, surely?
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    I have never understood the geeky obsession with people's socks. I think that's when some of you need to see a little sunlight and not worry about trivial things such as what colour socks "you" prefer people to wear.

So why did you click on the thread about socks then?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630

So why did you click on the thread about socks then?

Personally, I clicked to see if anyone had posted the theory about sock colour and dopers. It's a bit like wizards and what colour hat they wear.
  • IronHorse100
    IronHorse100 Posts: 302
    <humourfailure>I have never understood the geeky obsession with people's socks. I think that's when some of you need to see a little sunlight and not worry about trivial things such as what colour socks "you" prefer people to wear.</humourfailure>
  • ridelikeapro
    ridelikeapro Posts: 139
    It's common knowledge that black socks are slower than white socks - its' not often you'll see a fast rider in black hosiery - and clearly this year's black socked Wiggins is slower than the 2009 white socked Wiggins.

Let's face it, Brad's black sock look totally sucks. Does he have any idea how bad he looks - and it's also interesting to see that many of the other Team Sky riders are in white socks. He could have got away with using the blue & white (or white & blue) of their corporate colours for an acceptable image - might even have looked good. But black... nah!

So what's the deal? Does he actually like that look? Personally I think he needs to give himself a talking to. Amateur forum readers please note, when it comes to socks - white is right. (IMHO).javascript:emoticon(':)')
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    it's not the colour - it's the length. Socks that finish halfway up your calves is not a good look in any colour....

Whoever it was that said Wiggins looks like an insurance underwriter on holiday in Provence made a good point....
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I may be horribly wrong here but is it to show the sponsor's logo off. If the sock is raised up then the logo (Nike) can easily be seen.
    I guess the Tour was born out of Advertising so advertising is God.
    Looks hideous though; Jeeees!!

I do agree that Brad looks a touch worse than LA. Still a lot of Yuck though.

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • paulcuthbert
    paulcuthbert Posts: 1,016
    I can't believe you've stooped so low to discuss the length of a riders socks.

Understandable in a more dull Tour like 2008, but 2010 has been a GOOD race - and a good year for bike racing in general.

I don't understand you lot!
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I'm afraid that this thread is lacking proper guidence and I wish for the quick return of FF to guide us in this subject. My guess is that FF would say that LA's socks are disgusting and smell of chicken manure whereas ACs socks are beautiful and full of joy. :wink:

I think we are lacking a good old fashioned doping scandal to get the hackles up on our Rest Day.

-Jerry

PS- Someone the other day mentioned that Frenchfighter was a bloke the other day. That suprised me! Hmmm... the mysteries of the Internet.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    It's common knowledge that black socks are slower than white socks - its' not often you'll see a fast rider in black hosiery - and clearly this year's black socked Wiggins is slower than the 2009 white socked Wiggins.

Nope... Bradders liked his black socks, even when riding for Garmin

http://www.flickr.com/photos/slipstreamsports/3705017710/