afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited July 2010 in Pro race
Ivan Stevic, winner of yesterday's stage in Qinghai Lake:

2010tdqlstage04_17_600.jpg

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,473
    I trust he'll be fined and withdrawn from the race.
  • afx237vi
    Ah, but is giving the middle finger offensive in China?
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    He even gave a Cavendish-esqe reason for doing it.

Perhaps some people in the race actually like him so he'll be allowed to continue.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    Is it in Switzerland? I thought they were all neutral ;)
  • Is it in Switzerland? I thought they were all neutral ;)

It's in Tibet.

The OP might as well of linked to the winner of a 3rd cat race in Scotland doing the gesture. :lol:

Just another shit small race :wink:
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    I'll spell it out then.

Is flipping the bird offensive in Switzerland (which is where Mark Cavendish [the British sprinter] did it)

I know what the Tour of Qinghai Lake is, just not how to spell it without looking
  • afx237vi
    That's what a lot of people said about the Romandie thing, though, that people outside of the UK didn't know what the V-sign meant, so it wasn't offensive.

And fastercyclist, I don't know of many Scottish 3rd cat races that have Damiano Cunego, Tyler Hamilton and the living legend that is Tom Danielson as their past winners :wink:
  • Italiano
    Italiano Posts: 75

It's in Tibet.

The OP might as well of linked to the winner of a 3rd cat race in Scotland doing the gesture. :lol:

Just another shoot small race :wink:

Qinghai Lake is not exactly in Tibet, actually quiet far.

Calling it a "small race" means you never took a look at their routes; ask the scottish guy who's riding it once again this year (I've got the pleasure to know him last January).
  • afx237vi wrote:
    That's what a lot of people said about the Romandie thing, though, that people outside of the UK didn't know what the V-sign meant, so it wasn't offensive.

And fastercyclist, I don't know of many Scottish 3rd cat races that have Damiano Cunego, Tyler Hamilton and the living legend that is Tom Danielson as their past winners :wink:

From Road Bike Action Magazine, August, this one letter almost deserved it's own thread and I already have gone through many many pages back for another story.

But back to the magazine. And surely, this was mentioned in these forums or is already common knowledge to many here but not to me.
    FREE CAVENDISH

Cavendish should not have been pulled from Romandie. Unlike the very rude American middle-finger gesture, the British two fingers is a sign of defiance! in the Middle Ages, the French announced they would cut off the drawstring fingers of any English longbowman they captured in battle. During subsequent battles, the British bow men raised their two drawstring fingers as an act of defiance. They were not afraid of the French threats. They still had their fingers, and they knew how to use them, and proved it again and again. (not sure if the author's commas are proper) I fully expect Cav to prove his defiance of the doubters again and again this year. GO CAV! VVV!
    Phil Grice;
    Carlsbad, CA

Magazine's reply.

Phil,
    Great insight. I think you are referring to the Battle of Agincourt in 1415 where the English, led by Henry V, demolished a much larger French army thanks to the accuracy and courage of their longbow archers. If you are a Cav fan, check out an excerpt of his new book on page 52. We imagine there will be more victories from the Boy Racer from the Isle of Man this July.

That's rather fascinating.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    He's been thrown out

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/stevic- ... nghai-lake

Can everyone stop whining that they bully Cavendish now? :wink:
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Spiny_Norman
    Spiny_Norman Posts: 128
    But back to the magazine. And surely, this was mentioned in these forums or is already common knowledge to many here but not to me.
    FREE CAVENDISH

Cavendish should not have been pulled from Romandie. Unlike the very rude American middle-finger gesture, the British two fingers is a sign of defiance! in the Middle Ages, the French announced they would cut off the drawstring fingers of any English longbowman they captured in battle. During subsequent battles, the British bow men raised their two drawstring fingers as an act of defiance. They were not afraid of the French threats. They still had their fingers, and they knew how to use them, and proved it again and again. (not sure if the author's commas are proper) I fully expect Cav to prove his defiance of the doubters again and again this year. GO CAV! VVV!
    Phil Grice;
    Carlsbad, CA

Magazine's reply.

Phil,
    Great insight. I think you are referring to the Battle of Agincourt in 1415 where the English, led by Henry V, demolished a much larger French army thanks to the accuracy and courage of their longbow archers. If you are a Cav fan, check out an excerpt of his new book on page 52. We imagine there will be more victories from the Boy Racer from the Isle of Man this July.

Fascinating, but also complete b*llocks. In fact, that myth's been debunked so many times that I'm amazed anyone still believes it.
    N00b commuter with delusions of competence

FCN 11 - If you scalp me, do I not bleed?
  • Stevic probably thought he was being polite by his standards.

And giving the horns means 'I've shagged your wife' basically :)
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    FREE CAVENDISH

Phil Grice;
    Carlsbad, CA

Magazine's reply.

Phil,

Fascinating, but also complete b*llocks. In fact, that myth's been debunked so many times that I'm amazed anyone still believes it.

Seriously, have you read your link?

apart from the fact that the debunking is regarding "pluck you" and a middle finger salute - not a two finger salute (granted much of the reasoning they use is valid for both) - why does this article have any authority to debunk the story?
  • a.palmer
    a.palmer Posts: 504
    Stephen Fry on QI said that the V sign is not anything to do with long bow archers fingers, therefore, it's bollocks.