Seat: Be-One team edition
Seat Post: Exotic carbon with titainium bolts
Seat Post Clamp: Superstar

Cranks: SLX
Chain: SRAM 980 (?)
Cassette: SLX 11-28
Pedals: Shimano M250
Bottom Bracket: Superstar red HTII

Front Wheel: Hope Hoops (pro2 on stans355)
Tube: Joes sealant & stans valve and tape
Tire: Conti Mountain King 2.2

Back Wheel:
Rim: Stans Crest
Spokes: DT Swiss double butted
Hub: Superleggera (superstar)
Tube: Joes sealant & stans valve and tape
Tire: Conti Race King 2.2

Weight: <10 kg
It\'s not your aptitude but your attitude that determins your altitude

Comments

• mozzy10
    mozzy10 Posts: 179
    So, after having a break from the first post, an explanation:

So, I've had my last mountain bike since what feels like forever, but in reality for ten and a half years. It was a Haro Escape and cost my parents 200 notes as an xmas present for me when I was twelve. It went through many guises from jump bike to uni ride about to trail bike. It ended up a reasonably good ride with reba forks, hope hoops etc. But it was time for an upgrade.

So, i looked at my options and was keen on a 100 mm travel full sus, but i the end I decided this would be too much to carry around the south downs and local woods considering I only get to the Lakes/Peaks/Scotland half a dozen times a year. so I wanted a light hardtail for the Downs and Surrey Hills which was capable of taking a battering in the mountians when the time came. So i chose the 456 carbon, light enough to be a whippet, but strong enough to take some stick in the proper hills. Being 67 kg I felt I could go quite light with the parts and still maintain a robust ride.

Luckily all this planning took place just when I was offered a new job, so I expanded the budget and went with carbon bars, seatpost and full xt set up (excluding chianset) instead of taking old parts of my old bike.

So, after a few ride I must say I'm really pleased. I mean, its still a bike, and you still have to pedal. But the acceleration is rapid and it's so chuckable that it makes normal trail manourvers that much easier, meaning I can push the speed too.
  • Helter
    Helter Posts: 137
    Very nice indeed!! It’s photos like these that sorely tempt me to keep my 456 carbon frame and add all the new parts I was going to put on my beloved Duster (RIP).

I'm a warrior though and a bike in 2 parts is still a bike in 2 parts no matter how good it looked before. The burning question is, have you stacked it yet, hit the bottom bracket on a rock or even dropped it?
    Charge Duster (RIP)
    Ragley mmmBop
  • mozzy10
    mozzy10 Posts: 179
    Yeah I've had two mishaps....

Once the front slipped out on a root and the bars twisted round hitting the top tube with the brake lever. I was doing just over 10 mph. No damage or even marks.

The other time the back end skipped out leading the bike to over steer and the bottom bracket area to hit a tree stump on the inside of the bend with all my weight still on the pedals. I was doing about 15 mph. This area is covered by heli’ tape and still no marks were made.

Saying this, it’s totally impossible to estimate the forces involved in these crashes and they are purely anecdotal.

I was quite worried about the impact resistance of carbon purely from what is written on forums like this. The frame is even 'squeezable' in places on the top tube and sounds very much like plastic when you tap it. However, this opinion has now changed based on my own experience. I would have expected chipped paint work at least from similar knocks on my old alu bike.
  • Helter
    Helter Posts: 137
    Nice one cheers.

Another 456 rider has said similar and have checked the OnOne website who offer a crash replacement service so all is not lost if it all goes south. Good to have that piece of mind too.

Other than around the BB did you put the heli tape anywhere else?
    Charge Duster (RIP)
    Ragley mmmBop
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    very nice. love the subtle red touches(apart from the grips. eeeww...)
    great spec, looks great and by what your saying, rides well