summer?

Rooner
Rooner Posts: 109
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Its feckin lashing it down, here in Plymouth, severe weather warning from the Met office and all that. Not looking forward to the ride home, especially as the brakes don't seem to like the damp :shock:

Hope its lovelyand sunny and warm where you are.....

Where's summer gone? It was lovely for a few weeks and now this? Please tell me its not an early autumn and all I've got to look forward to is next spring?

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    No, summer is continuing here in the south-east, it's blazing hot and humid as all hell.

:x
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    No, summer is continuing here in the south-east, it's blazing hot and humid as all hell.

Yup, hot and humid again here too.
  • Rooner
    :( my bones are going to get soft if this continues. And the forecast is pants all week, temp dropping to 16 degrees daytime max.

C'mon, that's not fair! I blame the coalition!
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It's meant to be lashing it down here tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it.

Is this normal? :?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I like it when it's hot.

I wouldn't mind if someone turned the humidity down a notch though.

And installed a suitable level of air con in the new office, sigh.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    You lot stop moaning. I loves the heat I does :)

Dreading the winter already :cry:
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    edited July 2010
    I'm afraid the weather in the North West is completely my fault. I just yesterday picked up my new C2W bike (Raleigh Airlite 400, 105 & FSA). This seems to be an even more powerful effect than washing my bike, which always makes it p**s down.

If it's any consolation I picked up a flat cycling NewBike home in the rain last night.

effect/cause
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411

I'd always assumed hell would be a dry heat, what with all those eternal fires. Mind you, high humidity is less bearable, so maybe I'm wrong.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Rooner
    riding in the sun, with a warm (or hot) breeze makes all the hard winter slog worth while (sleet, snow, driving head winds, horizontal rain etc).

I think thats why I feel diddled. But, all things considered I'd rather cycle home in the rain than be stuck in a car :D

I've cheered myself up!
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Nice day here today.

Normal weather to resume tomorrow though :(
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I don't know who said it, but the saying "there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes" seems appropriate

I've cycled in some appalling weather, but not been unduly fussed, 'cos I had the right kit.

Getting caught out in a biblical downpour in a Thunderstorm that turns the sky black, while wearing lightweight summer kit brings this home to you. :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Its July and I'm already planning Winter/Grey weather light and clothes purchases!
  • rjsterry
    Rooner wrote:
    riding in the sun, with a warm (or hot) breeze makes all the hard winter slog worth while (sleet, snow, driving head winds, horizontal rain etc).

I think thats why I feel diddled. But, all things considered I'd rather cycle home in the rain than be stuck in a car :D

I've cheered myself up!

Care for a swap? Anything over 25 is too hot for me, and I don't mind the rain either.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    North West Water imposed a hosepipe ban about a week and a half ago. Conveniently, it has rained almost every day since. Has kept my pond topped up, and the garden watered nicely. =)
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    You can have some of our rain. I think it's rained everyday here in July. The bizarre thing is that I can count the number of times I've been rained on before July on my commutes on the fingers of one hand. Must be monsoon season in the Highlands
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Hell for me would be an eternal steam room.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    You can have some of our rain. I think it's rained everyday here in July. The bizarre thing is that I can count the number of times I've been rained on before July on my commutes on the fingers of one hand. Must be monsoon season in the Highlands
    Not monsoon season, school holiday season :wink:
  • rjsterry
    Hell for me would be an eternal steam room.

Tried one recently at the Bath Thermae Spa, which was 'infused with eucalyptus essential oil'. Kind of like the old head over a hot bowl of water with some Vickes x 1000. Not exactly what you'd call pleasant, but certainly an experience: the cold shower afterwards was bliss though.

SuperStock_1801-19232.jpg
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    suzyb wrote:
    Not monsoon season, school holiday season :wink:

Certainly won't be harming the midge population :roll: We might even get some over this side :(
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    It's meant to be lashing it down here tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it.

Is this normal? :?

yeah it always piddles it down in summer