Re: Free Kona Kula WIP*UPDATE:05/01/12

jay12
jay12 Posts: 6,306
edited January 2012 in Your mountain bikes
as some of you may know, i got a kona kula for free and very kindely given to me by raymondavalon, what a guy :D

the bike needs a clean and wheels need truing. then i'll be able to see if anything needs replacing. a lot of things on it are brand new, which is awesome :)

some pics:
p3pb5368318.jpg

p3pb5368302.jpg

p3pb5368290.jpg

p3pb5368278.jpg

p3pb5368270.jpg

stay tuned for updates

Comments

• jpstar
    jpstar Posts: 561
    You lucky ****** How'd you get it for free? Does look very nice though mate.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nice 'find' that would have cost you at the very least £100 on ebay!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jay12
    jpstar wrote:
    You lucky ****** How'd you get it for free? Does look very nice though mate.
    :lol:

he was going to give me just the frame with brakes and headset but now he doesn't need the rest of the stuff. basically he has no space, he has like 4 bikes and just won't be able to keep it. he told me he would probably put it in the skip if he wasn't giving it to me
  • mowflow
    mowflow Posts: 212
    Free bikes are the best bikes in the world.

I got a 5 year old Rockhopper pro disc in shabby but full working order and a 90s Bianchi road bike from my local dump. I now show up at my local dump like a kid on Christmas morning at least once a week.
  • jay12
    mowflow wrote:
    Free bikes are the best bikes in the world.

I got a 5 year old Rockhopper pro disc in shabby but full working order and a 90s Bianchi road bike from my local dump. I now show up at my local dump like a kid on Christmas morning at least once a week.
    :lol:
    nice
  • Lucky man Mr Jay!

Hopefully you'll look after it better than its previous owner!
  • jay12
    Lucky man Mr Jay!

Hopefully you'll look after it better than its previous owner!
    yep. i was at the right place at the right time.

hells yeah i will. it's just been cleaned, degreased, greased and the wheels are going to et trued tommorow or thursday
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Yes - you're a lucky little bugger ain't ya ;)

Very nice ride there, and by the looks of it virtually a whole bike...... :D

Yep, very kind of raymondavalon to give it to you.... you must be stoked. :D
  • Bill-87
    Bill-87 Posts: 155
    Lucky SOB.
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    you must be stoked. :D

Yeah if he was 17 and from Canada...
  • The Big Cheese
    Andy wrote:
    you must be stoked. :D

Yeah if he was 17 and from Canada...

Oh - Andy, I see you're intellectually "on-fire" tonight......

TART!!!

:P
  • jay12
    i am stoked, yes :wink: . i actually want to move to canada so i better start learning their language :lol:

some pics coming up of it nearly finished
  • jay12
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    jay12 wrote:
    i actually want to move to canada so i better start learning their language :lol:

If you speak English.. you speak their language :roll:

Jay12 it's my pleasure to pass the bike on to someone who will cherish, use and care for it.

The new parts are; Headset, BB, cables and derailleur "jockey wheels". It was also indexed before I pulled it apart. Sorry about the chain!

I was amazed that I could fit the entire bike into the On-One frame box.
    It did take about half a dozen attempts to make sure it didn't grind itself down to alloy filings while in transit. Nice to see the packaging held up.

Enjoy it Jay

:D
  • jay12
    jay12 wrote:
    i actually want to move to canada so i better start learning their language :lol:

If you speak English.. you speak their language :roll:

Jay12 it's my pleasure to pass the bike on to someone who will cherish, use and care for it.

The new parts are; Headset, BB, cables and derailleur "jockey wheels". It was also indexed before I pulled it apart. Sorry about the chain!

I was amazed that I could fit the entire bike into the On-One frame box.
    It did take about half a dozen attempts to make sure it didn't grind itself down to alloy filings while in transit. Nice to see the packaging held up.

Enjoy it Jay

:D
    i know i know :wink:
    yeah, i saw the invoice from the shop you attached to the bars. teh headset is awesome, the bb needs to be bedded in though.

yeah. was a pain to open up though :wink: everything seemed to be fine after delivery :)

once again thank you :D
  • Happy Harry
    Happy Harry Posts: 345
    I think it's really nice when people do things to help others. I'm really pleased for you, Jay and also have a lot of respect for Raymondavalon. Win Win. This is what makes the world a better place.

You're so enthusiastic that it's obvious you're going to get the most out of it. Kulas are great bikes. When I bought my new Whyte I was going to sell my Kula but I just couldn't bear to part with it so I bought it a full service instead and now it's as good as new again!

Have fun!
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • jay12
    I think it's really nice when people do things to help others. I'm really pleased for you, Jay and also have a lot of respect for Raymondavalon. Win Win. This is what makes the world a better place.

You're so enthusiastic that it's obvious you're going to get the most out of it. Kulas are great bikes. When I bought my new Whyte I was going to sell my Kula but I just couldn't bear to part with it so I bought it a full service instead and now it's as good as new again!

Have fun!
    thanks. my brother will bve using it mostly(i'll make sure he treats it nicely :wink: )

your looks great harry :)
  • The Big Cheese
    jay12 wrote:
    my brother will bve using it mostly(i'll make sure he treats it nicely :wink: )

I thought YOU were going to ride it.. being dramatically different to the Kinesis... :?

Gonna be a corker when finished... nice work so far.... 8)
  • jay12
    jay12 wrote:
    my brother will bve using it mostly(i'll make sure he treats it nicely :wink: )

I thought YOU were going to ride it.. being dramatically different to the Kinesis... :?

Gonna be a corker when finished... nice work so far.... 8)
    i will be riding it for xc. but for dealmere i'll be using my kinesis and same for places like llandegla. the thing is that i won't use it, i WILL but not that much.
  • Zaskar20
    Zaskar20 Posts: 557
    Coooool Kula man!

Congrats on a great aquisition jay and hats off to your generous buddy ramondavalon. :D

'Back in the day' these were top, top frames made of the highest grade aluminium. I lusted after one for many a year. I see that they're still high end in Kona's XC range.

Well done!
  • jay12
    Zaskar20 wrote:
    Coooool Kula man!

Congrats on a great aquisition jay and hats off to your generous buddy ramondavalon. :D

'Back in the day' these were top, top frames made of the highest grade aluminium. I lusted after one for many a year. I see that they're still high end in Kona's XC range.

Well done!
    cheers. i still can't believe he's given it to me for free :o
    yeah, the reviews are very good and the supreme version is a very expensive bike.
  • jay12
    well it's rideable now. shimano m424 spd pedals coming tommorow(my bro prefers clipless pedals), new saddle should be ordered quite soon, also the silver seatpost is from my brothers roadie so the tioga that came with the bike will be used. so far a new chain, new innertube and the wheels had to be trued. the brakes might need a bleed and new hoses are needed (hence the bit of type on teh front brake)

some pics:
    p3pb5378446.jpg

p3pb5378456.jpg

p3pb5378457.jpg

p3pb5378460.jpg

p3pb5378467.jpg

p3pb5378476.jpg

p3pb5378484.jpg

p3pb5378488.jpg
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Sweet, nice to see the "old girl" turned into someone's pride & joy :¬)
    Yea the Kula frame was groundbreaking when it came out, Kona were one of the first manufacturers (if not the first) to use a low top tube design. It makes the bike extremely nimble.
    Another thing that I loved about it was it's hill climbing abilities, damned thing was like a mountain goat and could scramble up almost any incline without having to hang my a$$ over the back to find traction.
    I had a real hard time adjusting to an FS bike after riding the Kula for 18 months. I remember how many times I cursed the FS bike and wished I was on the Kula when clambering up steep ascents begging for traction on the All Mountain bike.

Jay knowing that this bike puts a smile on your face and that you'll look after it makes passing it on to you well worth it.
  • The Big Cheese
    Top work Jay - nice going.... no hanging around (what I like to see)

Now go get it out for a test run!!!!

And again kudos to raymondavalon for being a stand up gent!!! 8)
  • jay12
    Raymondavalon
    thanks. my brother really likes it :) and i do as well. nice and light, everything works kinda well(brakes are on the dodgy side)

The Big Cheese
    thanks. i have :wink: and what can i say, nice an light, great feel, goes very fast.
  • jay12
    spec so far:
    frame: 05/06 kona kula in blue and white
    forks: marzocchi gran fondo 1(120mm version)
    wheels: sun rims DS2+XC rims on KK disc hub front and shimano fh-m475 rear
    cranks and chainrings: race face ride xc
    BB: FSA platinum ISIS
    Headset: m part pro
    brakes: hayes hfx9 160/160
    rear mech: shimano deore xt
    front mech: shimano deore
    shifters: shimano deore
    cassette: shimano deore
    chain: sram pc971
    pedals: kona(soon to be shimano m424)
    seatpost: tioga
    saddle: san marco race gel(soon to be replaced)
    stem: WTB CXC
    handlebars: WTB CXC
    grips: sunline mushroom
    bar ends: (scrathed to fook) hope in blue(more silver than blue now)
    seat clamp: unbranded
    tyres: panracer firexcpro 2.1 blue sidewalls

i'm thinking of pimping it up a bit by the end of the year with a blue seatclamp, blue spacers, blue and white saddle, blue grips, blue qr skewrs and white gear cables 8)
  • Happy Harry
    Happy Harry Posts: 345
    It looks great! I think Kulas are a bit overlooked because they've been around a while and aren't 'glamourous'. Mine's nearly four years old and I felt like something new so I bought the Whyte but couldn't face selling the Kula which is in tip-top condition. But I didn't ride it for a few months because of the new bike. When I did ride it again I was surprised at how good it was and fell in love with it all over again! Although the Whyte is my favourite, the Kula isn't far behind!
    Canyon XC 8.0 '11
    Whyte 19 steel '10
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    wtf?! how come I don't get free bikes like this, you lucking F*cking a**hole!!!! for free??? or is this a joke??
  • jay12
    wtf?! how come I don't get free bikes like this, you lucking F*cking a**hole!!!! for free??? or is this a joke??
    yep for free. it's from raymondavalon
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jay12 wrote:
    yep for free. it's from raymondavalon

Will he give me one?