Bakfiets advice

ndru
ndru Posts: 382
Hi all

I've recently posted similar question on the commuting board, but got no responses.

I've fell in love with the Long John type of cargo bike and want to but one, but, because it's very expensive, I would like to hear some opinions of the users.

Currently it's either Bakfiets.nl or Larry vs Harry. Then there are the chinese versions like bakfietsweb.nl and doubledutchbikes which sell them for 1/3 of the original price but apparently aren't very good.

Can anyone describe their experiences with bakfiets and tell me where they bought it?

Cheers

Comments

• baudman
    baudman Posts: 757
    I have a chinese version. Sourced thru http://www.cargocycles.com.au - but I believe in the Netherlands they're known as a 'Viper'.

I'd LOVE a real traditional Dutch one, or a Larry V Harry, but the budget wouldn't stretch anywhere near them. (Or, a Metrofiets from Portland, OR).

My chinese one is now two years old. Going well. It lives out of doors, and for the first 14m out in the weather. It is now semi-sheltered under a pergola. Apart from some surface rust on some of the bare metal, it's fine.

The build quality is OK, although the quality assurance isn't what it should be. Mine required a little bit of assembly, and that assembly did require a hammer. I also had to replace one cable after about a month as the outer was all frayed inside.

The way I describe it. It IS 1/3 of the price, but not a 1/3 of the vehicle. (I have two mates with real ones... we've chatted at length - and ridden each others). I've ridden some extended rides on mine (50km twice, and plenty of 20-30 min rides). Also used it from some quite wild uses and loads. The only thing I'd really want to change is the gearing. It's a bit steep for where I live, and I rarely need to get above 6th, let alone get to 8th. And my two girls aren't getting any smaller. Consequently, I'd prefer 2 smaller ratios. I could put a smaller chainring on it, but the one on it is already quite small, and I'd need to get another chain guard.

Would I prefer a real one? SURE! But, even though I ride it 2 or three time a week, with girls and/or shopping in it, would I be prepared to shell out for a real one? Nup. I'd go with what I did. Again. (Pic link in my sig)
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • ndru
    edited July 2010
    Thanks Baudman.
    I've read some reviews on the chinese bakfiets and they all seem pretty bad - they mention the frame breaking at the bracket (do you have one in your bike, the one that allows the frame to be folded for transport), they mention rust and dissolving of the wooden box.
    I am going to use it for transporting my children so I want a machine I can trust, that won't fall apart in the middle of the way. I understand that you are relatively happy with yours, but my question is - are all the chinese versions the same animal or are some better then the others- they all look the same to me.
    Did you get any sort of warranty for your bakfiet?
    What I am wondering is - should you spend around a 1000 pounds for a used one which will last for another 10 years or buy cheaper and be happy while it lasts. Not mentioning that a genuine version is lighter.
  • baudman
    I got a 12m warranty. I'm still in touch with the (previous) owner of where I got mine, and I'm not aware of any returns he's had. Only a few quality issues for some of them upon arrival (like I said, I don't think the quality assurance is brilliant out of those particular factories in china).

Folding bakfiets!? No WAY I'd go anywhere near that. There's a lot of weight put onto that one tube at the base of the bike... I wouldn't want that to also go through a hinge, no matter who made it. Engineering fail, IMHO. But yeah, I believe there are a few different ones and, after all, they make a HELL of a lot of bikes in china, and some of them even have some prestigious labels on them ;)

For what it's worth, I transport my girls in mine all the time (it's the primary use). There's not a hope in hell I'd put them at risk.

But, if you can get a used one at a good price, go for it. Like I said, I'd certainly prefer a 'real' one. I just couldn't fork out for one. And the current one does the job superbly (well, apart from hills).
    Commute - MASI Souville3 | Road/CX - MASI Speciale CX | Family - 80s ugly | Utility - Cargobike
  • ndru
    The ones available in uk have got a bracket... so I'm definitely not getting one of those. I'm thinking that even if I fork out £1700 for a new long john I can probably get 70% back when I sell it in 3 years plus I get a joy of riding a well made machine.
    Anywas thanks for your answers.
  • baudman
    No probs at all. Happy shopping.

(Oh, and pix once you get it, of course) ;)
  • ndru
    Shopping? It's saving time first I'm afraid :)
    I'll post pics when I get it of course.
  • ndru
    Shopping? It's saving time first I'm afraid :)
    I'll post pics when I get it of course.