Cycle to Work scheme with an umbrella company

CJ Bill
CJ Bill Posts: 415
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Just to set the scene, I got made redundant last year and decided "Sod it, always wanted to cycle to India, I'm off". Made it to India, well, Vietnam in the end but returned back to blightey in April broke but happy. State of the job market soon put paid to that.

Finally found a job... hang on did I say job? I mean contract role, hence this post. The role is in London so I'll be wanting to get a cheap room and commute to/ from London via train and Brompton, and within London on the bike. Any contractors out there who know of an umbrella company who participate in the CTW scheme? I've asked Parasol and they're a "no", and can't seem to find much online. Time's short as it's a start ASAP job, as in tomorrow or day after. If anyone can help here it'd be much appreciated.

Comments

• essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I've read this three times, I must be thick? Why an umbrella company?
  • I've read this three times, I must be thick? Why an umbrella company?

Agreed, a bike shop is the more usual option. What's the FCN of someone riding an umbrella anyway?
  • CJ Bill
    Ah, not a company that makes umbrellas: in this case umbrella company is term for a company contractors go through to organise paperwork, PAYE, etc. Used to use my own limited company last time I did this but folded it years ago.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    If you are self employed, then you are not eligible for the C2W scheme
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • CJ Bill
    Working for an umbrella company you're not self employed, you're technically an employee of that company.

Anyway, off to the LBS now to check out their range of bromptons and try and relax before the phone interview.
  • spen666 wrote:
    If you are self employed, then you are not eligible for the C2W scheme

But it may be possible to have a "pool" bike for the employees to use as a legitimate business expense. You could get a pool umbrella too. Probably from a different shop, though.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    CJ Bill wrote:
    Ah, not a company that makes umbrellas:

Well I was thinking along those lines...then you mentioned Parasol, me was well confused!

Sorry though, can't help.