What's that Highway Code rule about vulnerable road users?

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
I seem to remember people talking on here about a Highway Code rule that basically says something along the lines of "always take care and give way to vulnerable road users wherever possible, even if they do something stupid" but I can't find it through Googling.

Which rule is it?

Of course I may be imagining all this and no such rule really exists but I remember it was mentioned when someone was annoyed at pedestrians crossing when the light was red and then somebody posted the rule which basically meant that even if peds are doing something wrong you still have to allow for that and be patient.

Comments

• rmhodv
    rmhodv Posts: 83
    Rule 212

When passing motorcyclists and cyclists, give them plenty of room (see Rules 162-167).[see link below] If they look over their shoulder it could mean that they intend to pull out, turn right or change direction. Give them time and space to do so.

and HERE
  • Jamey
    Hmmm... The rule I'm thinking of wasn't specifically about passing or overtaking.

In fact it wasn't very specific at all, it was more general guidance for all situations, but maybe it doesn't exist. I might have made it up.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    204?

"The most vulnerable road users are pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists and horse riders. It is particularly important to be aware of children, older and disabled people, and learner and inexperienced drivers and riders."

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_069858
  • Jamey
    That's more like what I was thinking of, yep, thank you.

I did think there was mention of giving way or giving priority to them but maybe not.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Rule 163.

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should

* not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
    * use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out
    * not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle
    * move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in

Give vulnerable road users at least as much space as you would a car

* take extra care at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance
    * give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road
    * only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so
    * stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left
    * give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211-215)
  • Jamey
    All good stuff, thank you.

So what rule would cover a situation where a pedestrian walks across a crossing despite their light (the little man) being red? Obviously you're still meant to stop for them (where possible) despite them doing something stupid but that's not really covered by any of the previous rules.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Pedestrians ALWAYS have right of way on the roads.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Rule 144 - 147 cover this I reckon.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    biondino wrote:

Bother! :twisted:
  • Jamey
    Thanks all, that's covered it I think.

Much appreciated.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    biondino wrote:
    Authority for that?

e.g. rule 196
    Pelican crossings. These are signal-controlled crossings where flashing amber follows the red ‘Stop’ light. You MUST stop when the red light shows. When the amber light is flashing, you MUST give way to any pedestrians on the crossing. If the amber light is flashing and there are no pedestrians on the crossing, you may proceed with caution.

Now if the ALWAYS had priority then why on a pelican do they only have priority if they are already on the crossing when it goes flashing amber?

AIUI they have priority when already crossing the road along give way lines, but nowhere else, except for Zebra's and pelicans when red or flashing if already crossing.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    biondino wrote:

This is not the same as saying that pedestrians always have priority over vehicles, though.
    This post contains traces of nuts.