Cycle2work scheme balls up by my works!!!!!

martylaa
martylaa Posts: 147
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Ok so we have a cycle2work scheme every year, with a window of 28 days, i applied like i did last year, vouchers just come through today for 220 quid!!!!
Been onto work some mix up and i cannot change the amount now until it reopens next year, so i have a cycle2work voucher for 220 quid the cheapest bike starts at 250 quid!!!
Can't put money towards it, what a waste of time......
FFS!!!!

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Could try to put a £30 'deposit' on the bike then pay off the remainder with vouchers when it arrives?
    Halfords near me were happy to do that.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    At least you got the voucher...... I am still waiting for mine, I have already had the first Salary deduction but no Voucher!!!! The shop is still holding my bike till I can get the voucher its only been a month now :evil:
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Think yourself lucky - I had to wait over two months for my voucher.

For the OP - try the 'deposit' trick. I did the same to hold the bike as it was no longer available from the supplier - good job I did with the long wait in the end. When the voucher came through, i used the remainder to buy some more kit.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    :o Shop won't accept cash???

Every shop that I asked said that they would accept cash, obviously knowing that I had the risk that should my company ask for the bike back at the end of the year, I'd loose out.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • aldric
    aldric Posts: 161
    Nightmare, if you are looking at getting a £1k bike then a £220 voucher just isn't going to cut it :(

Do you have anything in writing on it with the voucher amount that you requested? If so maybe you could sort something out?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Also, does it not get taken from your salary, whether you use it or not, thus forcing you to buy an bike to suit the budget...an Apollo! :shock:
  • martylaa
    i can't friggin believe it our compnay scheme is only open for 4 weeks due to tax purposes, i'm unable to change the limit until next year now when it re-opens.
    it says 220 on the voucher and it says on it no cash allowed to be put towards the bike.....
  • wizzlebanger
    wizzlebanger Posts: 177
    Hi Martylaa,

Does that mean your Trek is on hold then? Sorry about that pal. Who's made the mistake your admin dept or cycle to work?
    FCN : 8

Fast Hybrid 7.
    Baggies +1
    SPD's -1
    Full mudguards for a dry bottom. + 1
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    martylaa wrote:
    i can't friggin believe it our compnay scheme is only open for 4 weeks due to tax purposes, i'm unable to change the limit until next year now when it re-opens.
    it says 220 on the voucher and it says on it no cash allowed to be put towards the bike.....

What it says and what you may be able to get away with are two different things...

All C2W schemes do not allow cash topups. Many bike shops allow it though. Probably worth trying to leave the balance as a deposit.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • martylaa
    nah i'm buying the trek cash mate hopefully its ready this week
    they're not sure whats happened at work?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    There's not much point in even trying to use the £220 voucher, you would make only about £80 saving even if you could put it towards a £1k bike, shopping aound as a full cash buyer would save you more.

Presumably you signed an agreement with a different figure on it and your employer made a mistake. If that is the case, and they deduct sums from your pay, this could constitute an illegal deduction from earnings which could see them at an employment tribunal. I suggest you get heavy with them and start making demands! Their cock-up = your position of power.
  • martylaa
    thanks mate i have been onto them, somethings gone wrong, but the way the tax laws over here and in the states are thats why its only allowed to open for 28 days then everytone picks their benefits for the following year, sat thinking wonder if i should just buy some bike accessories with it, a quality lock and a car roof box?
  • aldric
    aldric Posts: 161
    Where do you live martylaa, that doesn't make sense re: tax laws.

Isn't this a UK goverment initiative? I know schemes which run all year round......
  • martylaa
    uk mate its our companies rule, which is ran by companies benefits scheme in the usa
    its a pisser but nowt we can do now until next time it opens, just working out what i can get now for 220 quid
    decent lock and a bike rack until next year
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Unfortunately you have to buy a bike with it (you may also buy accessories but not only accessories).

US tax laws would seem to be irrelevant. There is nothing at all to prohibit the scheme being run all year in the uk.

In any event, you can and should get the voucher refunded. Why should you pay for something you didn't ask for and didn't want? They mistake certainly breaches employment law (if they take the money) and the contract is probably illegal.
  • martylaa
    yeah i'm going to get onto hr again tomorrow and see if i can get it wiped off, its no good to me as it stands
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Kick up a fuss big time, they enterd into an agreement with you and loosed it up, their lookout and for them to sort.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • martylaa
    dhope wrote:
    martylaa wrote:

What it says and what you may be able to get away with are two different things...

All C2W schemes do not allow cash topups. Many bike shops allow it though. Probably worth trying to leave the balance as a deposit.
    Well just spoke to the manager in Halfords and he cannot accept any cash as a deposit and pay the balance of with the voucher on a bike, asked him why and he said too much hassle form tax, local governmant, cycle2work and the companies one of which i work for, nothing he can do, he said he'd love to be able to do it as its business.
    Gutted
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    edited July 2010
    martylaa wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    martylaa wrote:

Well just spoke to the manager in Halfords and he cannot accept any cash as a deposit and pay the balance of with the voucher on a bike, asked him why and he said too much hassle form tax, local governmant, cycle2work and the companies one of which i work for, nothing he can do, he said he'd love to be able to do it as its business.
    Gutted

I wouldn't bother approaching bike shops - discuss further with HR (or whoever made the mistake) and don't accept being fobbed off.

If the error really is with either C2W or HR, there is no reason you should put up with a very-much-less-than-ideal situation like the one you're in.