So its not car drivers who are ignorant...other cyclists too

mrpulloo
mrpulloo Posts: 2
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
:x So your commuting to work and going through all the traumas of car drivers which you become used to....... So why is it when your cycleing along path width cycle tracks, that some oncoming more "proffesional" looking cyclists refuse to stick to one side and continue to cycle along the middle? Not giving any ground and scowling when you refuse to ride into the nettles!!
I have been cycling for more years thasn i care to imagine,im not some old fart but i am a man of good manners!
It happens roughly three times every day and when i refused to go into the nettles and stuck to the left one guy started getting quite arsey!!(until he realised im 6'4") where he apologised for his rude behaviour.

Comments

• Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Welcome to the forum, mrpulloo.

Dunno what you mean by professional; had a cycling jersey on? I too encounter cyclists coming the other way who don't give any ground. It's not limited to cyclists though; I encounter the same behaviour from pedestrians (both on my bike and when I'm walking). Some people just expect you to get out of their way.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    I don't make much use of cycle-paths, but when I have used them I notice that most of the traffic is pedestrians and most cyclists adopt the pedestrian convention of keeping to the right. This means if you keep to the left then they'll be heading right at you and expecting you to move aside.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Agent57
    dondare wrote:
    I don't make much use of cycle-paths, but when I have used them I notice that most of the traffic is pedestrians and most cyclists adopt the pedestrian convention of keeping to the right.

There's a pedestrian convention of keeping to the right? Man, they never taught me that at school. =/
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Agent57 wrote:
    dondare wrote:
    I don't make much use of cycle-paths, but when I have used them I notice that most of the traffic is pedestrians and most cyclists adopt the pedestrian convention of keeping to the right.

There's a pedestrian convention of keeping to the right? Man, they never taught me that at school. =/

I've never heard of that either, considering on 2 way cycle lanes you keep to the left as with road traffic.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    dondare wrote:

Generally, if pedestrians are to walk in the road way with motor traffic (i.e. there is no pavement) it is sensible not to have one's back to the oncoming traffic. Though the Highway Code appears to contradict itself on this point. See rules 1 and 5. Usually if walking in a road I'll keep to the right, though on a shared-use path I'll keep to the left.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Norky wrote:
    dondare wrote:

Generally, if pedestrians are to walk in the road way with motor traffic (i.e. there is no pavement) it is sensible not to have one's back to the oncoming traffic. Though the Highway Code appears to contradict itself on this point. See rules 1 and 6. Usually if walking in a road I'll keep to the right, though on a shared-use path I'll keep to the left.

On the "road" you should face traffic, obviously you can see whats about to hit you and you can give them a cheery wave as you fly through the air.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Cyclists should pay road tax like everyone else and sit a test and be registered.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • Agent57
    Norky wrote:
    Generally, if pedestrians are to walk in the road way with motor traffic (i.e. there is no pavement) it is sensible not to have one's back to the oncoming traffic.

Sure, on a road with no pavements it's sensible to be able to see what's coming. But I still wouldn't call it a convention; mainly because I don't think a majority of pedestrians do follow that advice when walking on such roads, and it certainly doesn't seem to apply within the confines of pavements or shared use cycle-paths.
  • Norky
    Norky Posts: 276
    Agent57 wrote:
    Sure, on a road with no pavements it's sensible to be able to see what's coming. But I still wouldn't call it a convention; mainly because I don't think a majority of pedestrians do follow that advice when walking on such roads, and it certainly doesn't seem to apply within the confines of pavements or shared use cycle-paths.

Oh indeed, I agree, just pointing out why some pedestrians might do it even in situations where it's not sensible.
    The above is a post in a forum on the Intertubes, and should be taken with the appropriate amount of seriousness.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    People are ignorant.
    Doesn't matter if they are in their cars or on their bikes.

Sad but becoming more common.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I have to say, if people want to ride at speed, I really think they should do it on roads.

Cycle paths/shared paths aren't the place for anything above about 15mph in my book, and even that is probably pushing your luck. There are just too many peds in the mix, as well as novice cyclists, children, dogs etc.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Also, no one with even an ounce of self respect should ever use a road bike on a cycle path. Leave them for the hybrids and mountain bikes.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    _Brun_ wrote:
    Also, no one with even an ounce of self respect should ever use a road bike on a cycle path. Leave them for the hybrids and mountain bikes.

Depends on the cycle path a bit, there are often a variety of sneaky cut through routes to be had if you know where you're going.

Those shared use paths are proper annoying, though.
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    mrpulloo wrote:
    :x So your commuting to work and going through all the traumas of car drivers which you become used to....... So why is it when your cycleing along path width cycle tracks, that some oncoming more "proffesional" looking cyclists refuse to stick to one side and continue to cycle along the middle? Not giving any ground and scowling when you refuse to ride into the nettles!!
    I have been cycling for more years thasn i care to imagine,im not some old fart but i am a man of good manners!
    It happens roughly three times every day and when i refused to go into the nettles and stuck to the left one guy started getting quite arsey!!(until he realised im 6'4") where he apologised for his rude behaviour.

Try Clapham Common in SW London, especially if you're riding into London during the evening rush hour. For some reason, people seem to assume they can behave on a bike in a way they would never dream of in a car.

BTW I'm "professional" looking, I think.
    I have to say, if people want to ride at speed, I really think they should do it on roads.
    +1
    Cycle paths/shared paths aren't the place for anything above about 15mph in my book, and even that is probably pushing your luck.

Department for Transport recommends getting on the road above 18mph (30kph)
    There are just too many peds in the mix, as well as novice cyclists, children, dogs etc.

I dare say it's a bit busier 'round your way. There's a 2 mile stretch of shared-use path near me that I often see utterly empty of foot/bike/any traffic. I usually ride on the dual carriageway parallel to it anyway.

I rarely use cycle paths but for pootly rides with the missus and the occasional cut through as Adiy said.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    daviesee wrote:
    People are ignorant.
    Doesn't matter if they are in their cars or on their bikes.

Sad but becoming more common.

Yep - I think that's summed it up for me. I posted on a similar thread in the last few days - you just can't legislate for ignorance...
  • dondare
    dondare Posts: 2,113
    Greg T wrote:
    Pedestrians should pay road tax like everyone else and sit a test and be registered.

Fixed.
    This post contains traces of nuts.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    _Brun_ wrote:

What have we ever done to you? :cry:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The trouble with shared use cycle paths is you annoy the pedestrians who bimber about three-a-breast and think you should be on the road.

If you then go on the road you annoy the motorists who think your being a arrogant twit for not using the cycle path specially built for you to keep you out of there way.

One in particular example is the A4 going out of town past Heathrow.
  • Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    The trouble with shared use cycle paths is you annoy the pedestrians who bimber about three-a-breast and think you should be on the road.

If you then go on the road you annoy the motorists who think your being a arrogant twit for not using the cycle path specially built for you to keep you out of there way

Exactly!
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    mrpulloo wrote:

Had a similar problem yesterday until he realised I wasn't moving and he went through the nettles 8)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Is it OK to point your finger or shake your head in a condescending manor at rude cyclists?

[ runs away quick ;) ]
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    mrpulloo wrote:
    May I suggest one of these?
    lance_weapon_joult.jpg
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Norky wrote:
    dondare wrote:

Generally, if pedestrians are to walk in the road way with motor traffic (i.e. there is no pavement) it is sensible not to have one's back to the oncoming traffic. Though the Highway Code appears to contradict itself on this point. See rules 1 and 5. Usually if walking in a road I'll keep to the right, though on a shared-use path I'll keep to the left.

Those don't actually contradict each other:

Rule #1 is for a single pedestrian, and does say that it may be safer to cross to the outside of a bend.

Rule#5 is for organised groups of pedestrians, which are in effect one single "unit" and akin to a very slow moving item of traffic.