Creaking from front end

Soni
Soni Posts: 1,217
edited October 2010 in Workshop
Trek 2.5 2010 approx 3 months old making creaking noises from front end when climbing out of saddle and leaning over front end.

I am pretty sure its coming from the front wheel, Mavic Aksiums 2010, not the headset and i know its not the pedals requiring greacing as experienced that before on another bike.

i have the Bonty stock wheels hanging on the garage wall and will swap the front wheel over this evening to check, however my question is what can be causing a front wheel to creak?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    QR skewer needs greasing? QR too tight / not tight enough?

Any spokes out of tension?

Do the spokes cross each other on Aksiums or are they all radial? If they cross, try a spot of oil there.
  • keef66
    edited July 2010
    Ok, so they are radial spokes on a 2010 Aksium front wheel. Try a tiny bit of oil on each nipple.

Try some on the bike as well.

Maybe clean and very lightly grease the front dropouts too.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    How do you know it's not the headset?

Just don't rule ANYTHING out. :)
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    sometimes cable ferrules can creak in the cable stops near the head tube
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • chriskempton
    chriskempton Posts: 1,245
    I bet it's the QR
  • lucca
    lucca Posts: 51
    little grease between your spacers
  • Soni
    Thanks for all the replies guys, i have some avenues to check/lube tonight when i get home.

I don't think its the head set as had that problem on a previous bike, whereas this definetely sounds like its coming from that front wheel....
  • Soni
    OK Guys, just swapped the front wheel over for the stock Bontragers that came with it and its still making the noise, so isn't the wheel? So perhaps it IS coming from the headset?

Its only a few months old? :(

Any other advise?
  • Soni
    Just removed the pedals and re-lubed, thought it may have been them....

Still got the problem.

Put the bike up on its read wheel, and as i'm turning the handlebars left and right, its making the grinding/creaking sound, but it sounds to me like its coming from the top of the forks where it goes into the headtube...
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    Soni wrote:
    Just removed the pedals and re-lubed, thought it may have been them....

Still got the problem.

Put the bike up on its read wheel, and as i'm turning the handlebars left and right, its making the grinding/creaking sound, but it sounds to me like its coming from the top of the forks where it goes into the headtube...
    head bearings.
  • gethmetal
    gethmetal Posts: 208
    Isn't there a recall on some models of recent Treks?
  • gethmetal
    gethmetal Posts: 208
    gethmetal wrote:

Sorry, I'll elaborate. Pressed enter by accident, I hate laptops...

Certain recent Treks ( I have no idea which ones, I'm not a fan) have been issued recall notices because of suspect carbon steerers (or something related)

Could this be you? Consult your dealer.
  • Soni
    gethmetal wrote:
    gethmetal wrote:

Sorry, I'll elaborate. Pressed enter by accident, I hate laptops...

Certain recent Treks ( I have no idea which ones, I'm not a fan) have been issued recall notices because of suspect carbon steerers (or something related)

Could this be you? Consult your dealer.

Hi mate, i'm not posh enough to have a carbon steerer, mine is aluminium unfortunately :D
  • Soni
    UPDATE:

Just got in from the garage 12:08pm, and i can report that i now have a silent, smooth, road machine again! :D

I've never done this work before, however with the help of a You Tube Vid, i slackened off the stem bolts, removed the spacers, removed the forks from the frame and cleaned every set of bearings and the 'things' that slip into the bearings (sealed bearings) and i found coatings of rust on the mating surfaces, so cleaned that off with baby wipes, and then regreaced all mating surfaces, refitted, took for a test ride, and how great it feels having a silent bike again.!

Been riding it for a couple of weeks with it noisy, it gradually got worse, at first i thought it was the brake cables catching on the head tube whilst i was weaving the bike left and right whilst climbing out of the saddle, but it gradually got worse over the last couple of weeks.

As i said, i would have never dreamed of doing this type of thing on a bike, but i can honestly say (for those a little worried about doing this type of work to their bike) that it was really easy and straightforward, just so long as you TAKE NOT ON HOW THE BITS CAME OFF SO YOU CAN PUT THEM BACK ON THE CORRECT WAY AROUND AND IN THE CORRECT ORDER! :D

Thanks for your advise guys, and also to the chap who mentioned 'not to rule out the headset'!! :D
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    happy ending. it came up in a post recently and included the woes of integrated head bearings. interesting read.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12712093
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Soni wrote:
    Thanks for your advise guys, and also to the chap who mentioned 'not to rule out the headset'!! :D

No problem! :wink:

Glad you got it sorted!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • keef66
    You sure it's not the QR skewer? :D
  • starlet_gt
    starlet_gt Posts: 88
    pastey_boy wrote:
    sometimes cable ferrules can creak in the cable stops near the head tube

I had a loud creak the other day, drove me crazy for ages and it turned out to be this -_-
  • Mr Bungle
    Mr Bungle Posts: 114
    Soni wrote:
    UPDATE:

however with the help of a You Tube Vid,

Glad its all sorted, gives me hope :wink:

Im in a similar situation, my initial thoughts are its the wheel, but could you send us the lick to the youtube vid, I suppose there is no harm trying what you did,

Thanks

Rich
  • Mr Bungle
    Mr Bungle Posts: 114
    hi

regarding your thread on creaking from front end - could you send me the link to the youtube vid please?

I have posted this on forum also, Cheers

Rich
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    I reckon it may have been your stem needed tightening to your bars. Had more than one bike creak and this sorted it