White Mountain - New Hampshire (!)

scullyman
scullyman Posts: 72
edited July 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi All,

My wife and I are heading over to the States for a month in September on a (long planned) extended holiday. As part of this I hope to get in a little mountain biking in California and road biking in Vermont.

I'm looking particularly at the White Mountain region but really don't have any thoughts on an itinerary; it'll only be a couple of days riding as part of our trip. Can anyone give me any advice on where would be a good place to ride and particularly decent places to hire bikes?!

Many thanks,

Paul :oops:

Comments

• heatonrider
    heatonrider Posts: 109
    We were there a few years ago and i recall a cycle shop in Middlebury - you might try and find them on Google and ask there - sure were friendly folk! Good place to cycle too
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    edited July 2010
    Love to go also.for the Fall colours in Vermount and look at this every year...Try speaking to some Americans on Bikeforums who have local knowledge..Fall colours are monitored as they appear and what the locals do is chase the leaves en mass in their camervans etc and head to the areas where they have turned..Forecasts and announcements are made when this happens..Good luck.
    http://www.foliage-vermont.com/
    This website has a bike tour link
    http://www.foliage-vermont.com/woodstoc ... e_tour.htm
    jc
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Hi

I'm from the White Mountains originally - and I can tell you that if you go there you will be in New Hampshire, not Vermont. Vermont's mountains are the Green Mountains (as the name Vermont implies) Both are pretty, but the White Mountains are higher and wilder. Late September, or better still, the first week of October is the best time to go for the autumn colours - and believe me, they are spectacular. On weekends the roads are likely to be busy with 'leaf-peepers' but during the week, it should be really nice.

Have fun.
  • scullyman
    Correction noted and apologies proffered. Clearly I can't read Google maps...

Any suggestions on the riding side of things?!

Thanks,

Paul
  • raybo
    raybo Posts: 87
    Here is the New Hampshire Dept of Transportation Bike Maps site: http://www.nh.gov/dot/nhbikeped/maps.htm

Here is a bike map of the White Mountains: http://www.nh.gov/dot/nhbikeped/map-wm.htm

I'm planning a ride there this September, as well,

Ray
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I've not ridden in Vermont, although obviously (coming from New Hampshire, next door) I've been there a lot. The far northeast east, around St Johnsbury, is pretty and off the beaten track. It used to be known as the Northeast Kingdom, because it was pretty much on its own. The area around Stowe and Middlebury is very pretty, but also very popular. Lake Champlain would also be very nice - some pretty roads going along North and South Hero Islands. Another area to consider is along the Vermont New Hampshire border - Hanover, Lebanon, etc. Very pretty and with the river beside you.

I'm better versed about New Hampshire, where I would recommend the area around the southern part of the White Mountains, and the northern end of the Lakes Region, say from Lake Winnipesaukee and Wolfeboro up through Meridith, Moultonboro and on to Tamworth, and Sandwich. You'd get the mountains and the lakes both, really pretty, especially in the autumn, since the colours tend to be best near water. Also enough hills to be interesting with its being too much of a grind.

The Kancamaugus Highway is widely regarded as a great place to see the autumn colours, and it is very scenic - but also likely to be crowded, especially on weekends, and so not so relaxing on a bike. Try instead Route 113 and 113A through Tamworth and Sandwich, with a side trip up Sandwich Notch - you won't go wrong there. I can give you more ideas if you like - just a few thoughts here.

CHeers
  • scullyman
    Thanks, all - that's really useful advice.

Importantly - and I know it's a long shot - can anyone recommend any decent hire places?

Paul