First Blood

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited July 2010 in MTB beginners
Daughter dragged me to the local 4X track last night (Leamington Spa), decided not to swap the SPD's from my commuter to mountain bike, silly idea, blasted (SPD) shoes had little grip, was gradually getting faster, when the inevitable happened, both feet off pedals, landed on the saddle in the middle of a double bump only to be projected off over the front wheel, still at least me being under the bike saved the fresh paintwork from any scratches!

M545's now on order!

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    Ouch....

I ride with the spd/ Freerides pedal and really like its balance.

Defo notice if im not clipped in through, my balance and slow speed control just goes awol.
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • The Rookie
    Not too bad, elbow and knee/shin all one side, not even that sore - yet!

Was tossing up between 'pure' SPD and with platforms, decided for the MTB I'll go with the M545's and leave the M520's on the commuter.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Honestly though, if you're having problems with flats on jumps, there's something in yout technique that needs working on.
    SPDs can hide a multitude of sins, but worst of all if you have a bad technique, you may well have had a far bigger accident.
  • The Rookie
    The problem was cheap plastic pedals (all I had to spare when I built the bike, was planning on swapping the SPD's on but thought I'd be OK for an hour) and hard soled SPD shoes, they kept sliding off the pedals - very littl grip at all, they were sliding in normal pedaling, should have gone home and changed as soon as it first happened, but didn't, my fault.

Simon