Would Wiggins have done better with Garmin?

donrhummy
donrhummy Posts: 2,329
edited July 2010 in Pro race
A lot of people said no, but Brailsford's comments seem to lend some credence to that idea:
"You can plan as much as you like but there is nothing like doing this race and then going back and reflecting on what you didn't know and learning from it. Even after two weeks, I'm not afraid to say there's a lot we didn't know," he said.

"I'm a novice at this race but I've got a smart group of people around me who learn really quick. Would we change the way we approach things? How we get the best out of people? Certainly not. It's like the Olympics Games, the first one blows you away but by the time you've done three or four, you just take it on. I guess it's the same here. You have to do the hours and we're doing them.

Garmin/Vaughters have a LOT of experience with TDFs, whether through Garmin's participation or that of Garmin's leaders previously (e.g. Vaughters rode the TDf himself). I think that experience would have led to a diff. outcome for Wiggins. I'm nto saying he'd have been 4th again, but perhaps he'd be top 10.

Comments

• Steve2020
    Steve2020 Posts: 133
    Not wearing a black kit would have helped.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    2 million on this loser? Complete waste of money imo. For that kind of money he should be in the top ten come Sunday, at least. That and his cavalier attitude to it all .......
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    History is littered with the bodies of those who did a good performance once and never repeated it in the Tour. I remember last year I did a thread of people who've finished 4'th and never bettered it.

Sky are a fairly weak team for a Grand Tour contendor. But I don't believe Wiggins is that guy - If you had a stronger team he'd be in the same position.

The most recently posted cyclingnews podcast talks a bit about it. They also mention something I was going to say today - You don't "make" a GC guy - They're born. So IIMO, if you don't do the business in your first grand tour and at least get a high finish overall, you're not going to win unless you take the Indurain / Riis / Armstrong route.

Also, if I may channel Fignon for a minute, WTF is the point of getting a top 10 in the Tour. Better to win a classic or something. I know it's how things are sold because the Tour is the biggest event, but if marketing bods could engage more of the general public throughout the season then they would get more value from their investment.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    iainf72 wrote:
    ...WTF is the point of getting a top 10 in the Tour...

Agreed.

For the remainder of the Tour I'd love to see Brad cut his GC ambition losses and go for broke for a stage win, crush the time trial or absolutely bury himself with a killer 4km break away / lead-out for EBH.

I don't think Brad's done as a GC contender but it will be interesting to see what lessons Sky takes from this Tour and how they implement those lessons learned.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    iainf72 wrote:
    History is littered with the bodies of those who did a good performance once and never repeated it in the Tour. I remember last year I did a thread of people who've finished 4'th and never bettered it.
    The difference here is that Sky paid a fortune. The likes of Le Mevel, Zubeldia, Dessel and others, not to mention Pereiro, sometimes didn't even get a contract boost.

The real winner here is Wiggins, set up for life now with a decent four year contract. He's got a good agent.

The sport is also littered with teams who come in with a promise of a fresh approach, new ideas and outside opinions. Usually they can work but it takes a couple of years for things to start working.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Kléber wrote:

The sport is also littered with teams who come in with a promise of a fresh approach, new ideas and outside opinions. Usually they can work but it takes a couple of years for things to start working.

I'm no expert in these things, and I am cynical, but special tooth paste will not improve riding. Unless it's special toothpaste from Dr Ferrari.

Did anyone read the Kimmage article in the Times on Sunday?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,223
    Obviously yes as Garmin are showing true strength in depth in the GC competition :roll:
  • BikingBernie
    BikingBernie Posts: 2,163
    Wiggin's performance is entirely credible, in every sense of the word. In a way I am glad his is not ripping it up with the likes of Contador...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    "Seen a lot of negative stuff on Wiggo.Brad is a great talent, just not his course+he's had pressure this yr. He'll be back, I have no doubt." - J Vaughters on Twitter
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    iainf72 wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

Did anyone read the Kimmage article in the Times on Sunday?

no its paywalled

but i'm sure i can guess how it went.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not his route this year. Maybe next year will suit him better.

Sky have got their publicity out of wiggins anyway. Unless they win the tour - theyd get bugger all publicity with some foreign dude that joe public dont know. And given theyd looked at riders figures and discounted any dodgy ones - that kind of narrows the field dramatically anyway.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I had him for about 12th before the start.

I think he would have been better with Garmin.

He is not on the form they say and that is where Vaughters would have brought him here with better preparation perhaps ?
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972