Problems with headset on EC90 SLX

Brocade
Brocade Posts: 433
edited July 2010 in Workshop
I just bought a EC90 SLX fork that came with an integrared headset. Having trouble with the race crown that came with the headset. The race crown does not really fit flush to the base of steerer tube as it is too tight in that section where the tube appears to widen. I can't really clearly tell if this is just a manufacturing fault or intentional.

Does anyone know if this fork come with an integrated race crown or not, i.e. should I just leave the race crown that came with the headset out ?

Thanks in advance.
BMC Pro Machine
Enigma Ego

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    the crown race will not fit fully flush - if it did, the fork crown would probably rub on the head tube....you normally get about 1-2mm clearance...
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    My EC90SLX + Chris King Headset

dsc01383small.jpg

That's totally normal.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Brocade
    Brocade Posts: 433
    Thanks. The EC90 SLX does NOT come with an integrated race crown. This means the race crown one gets with a headset does need to be fitted in. The steerer tube widens at the bottom and frankly, is not machined perfectly, meaning that a race crown might not just drop in, as was the case with me. I had to take it to my LBS to get the race crown to fit.

And as above, there is a couple mm room between the fork and the head tube once the race crown has been fitted and sits on the bearings.
    BMC Pro Machine
    Enigma Ego