etiquette when finding a "secret" trail

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2010 in MTB general
whilst out exploring i found some secret trail, its a short section of swoopy bermy stuff in some woods, there are a few trail building tools chained up inside a make-shift shelter and it looks like some real hard work has gone into digging.

i didnt ride them as i thought it might be a bit cheeky but whats the score, going by the large number of fizzy pop bottles (mostly cream soda) strewn in the area i reckon its the work of youths who im certain i could beat in a fight if they got a bit pissy but the new improved polite big d doesnt want to upset the "owners" of this project.

how would i be allowed to ride this or is there even a rule which says i cant?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is it private land or public land? If the latter they probably shouldn't be building anyway, and either way you can ride there if bikes are allowed. It ain't 'theirs' to claim. But doing a bit of spade work always goes down well.
  • fair game imo... just don't wreak it!
  • Anonymous
    it is public land, just off the side of a bridleway i frequent but well hidden in the trees, it looks to be the start of something very cool, i want to ride it and will next time i go out.
  • Louis84
    Louis84 Posts: 135
    Knock it all down and re-build it better by the time they come back.. You'll be a king amongst men
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Leave them a note saying thanks.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Leave them a note saying thanks.

Or better yet, a few bottles of their favourite cream soda :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Anonymous
    i was thinking of leaving a note which says summat like:

"this is mine now so fuck off you little pukes or else"

but i might change it to:

"super trail fellas, you lot are not pukes at all"
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Not near East Grinstead by any chance?
  • Anonymous
    mrfmilo wrote:

no, ive never been there, it sounds good though.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    unixnerd wrote:

Laced with horse tranquillizer :wink:
  • Anonymous
    *AL* wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

Laced with horse tranquillizer :wink:

me sir!? no sir :wink:
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    mrfmilo wrote:

no, ive never been there, it sounds good though.

Ah ok, there's a spot there exactly like you described :lol:
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518

"this is mine now so fark off you little pukes or else"

All very well until you discover it was built by a dozen 18 stone Bootnecks. :lol:
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    pte1643 wrote:

All very well until you discover it was built by a dozen 18 stone Bootnecks. :lol:
    with spades and the like :lol:
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    if i find a secret trail i just ride it. i wouldn't wreck it as that would be stupid. i might even do a bit of building on it my self.
  • pte1643
    pte1643 Posts: 518
    I'm pretty sure that a dozen 18 stone Booties wouldn't need spades. :lol:
  • Anonymous
    pte1643 wrote:

it would take 18 of em to make an impression, plus, i reckon there'd be more evidence of the gay sex they like to do if they were the owners.

erm i mean, good point, i should be careful.
  • Dubzy
    Dubzy Posts: 123
    Are you sure it's not a building site? Times are hard these days and Redrow seem to take a while getting houses built. If you see no bricks and pages from the Daily Sport scattered around then I would clain the land as yours.

Watch out for drains though :wink:
    Life's good

Boardman MTB Team
  • Anonymous
    Well, when I've found something like this in the past (it's been a while :( ) it's generally served me well to just no wreck it, and repair any damage I may have done by accident.
    If you keep riding there you may bump into whoever built it, get to know them, then get them to do your bidding. :lol:
  • why not ride it, then leave them a little polite review! they will appreciate that I think..;)

or leave a single red rose and a white glove.
    I like bike, bike is bike.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i've got a trail like that by me. every couple of weeks some new berms will be made or a new set of doubles will pop up, there's spades and stuff hidden in the bushes. the thing is i've never seen anyone riding there except me let alone building it!!!

it's those damn fairies again!!! :lol:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited July 2010
    Well, when I've found something like this in the past (it's been a while :( ) it's generally served me well to just no wreck it, and repair any damage I may have done by accident.
    If you keep riding there you may bump into whoever built it, get to know them, then get them to do your bidding. :lol:
    ^^ this

Plenty of cheeky trails on the Chase, some of which are better than the official trails.

Leave as you find, offer to help out if the trail fairies are there, don't go posting co-ordinates on websites :wink:
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Ride it, but as everyone has said, don't wreck it. But also Check it before you ride it A guy I know went straight through a poorly constructed/maintained ladder bridge that he found!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    secret trails you say.....lucky you....ride them!

if folks are there stop for a chat...maybe offer some assistance..what ever takes your fancy....

we built a few trails...didn;t ride them for ages and went back and some other folk had built a bit more!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Cferg
    Cferg Posts: 347
    Yeah, I'm in the same situation, someone's obviously gone to alot of work, however I've never seen anyone on bikes around? There's well constructed see-saws, jumps. berms, north shore typey stuff and someone obviously spent a lot of time on it. As was said, the Trail fairies really are a lovely bunch!
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    Get them to pick up their rubbish!
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    There is bridleway I ride sometimes that is a longish slog up a steepish hill, built in a little ravine running alongside it is a series of berms and jumps that at the bottom look great but the higher up the traail yo ride get more and more ridiculous in size. Its definitely on a farmers land but also definitely in a bit he cant use for anything - I wonder if the builders had legit access. Never ridden it as the top bit is scarey!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • belugabob
    belugabob Posts: 158
    mrfmilo wrote:

If you're referring to the trails to the left of the Worth Way, just after you leave Crawley Down and head for East Grinstead, be careful of fence wire strung across the slope down from the Worth Way - serious chance of losing your head. I've looked at it several times, as I ride past, but have been warned by a friend who lives locally, that riding there is frowned upon (Not sure by who)

If you didn't learn anything today, you weren't paying attention!
  • Anonymous
    it is only in its early stages, not particularly long but it is nicely put together and has taken some real efort by the looks of it. i will give it a blast tomorrow, if its rubbish, i will just kick it all down.
  • Just ride it. So long as you're not bothering anyone, they're not gonna bother you. Don't wreck it, don't turn up with a bus full of people, don't shout at the passing walkers, don't litter, and be polite if you ever bump into the makers.

We have loads of odd and ends dotted around nearby and it's quite rare that you bump into the creators, but it's generally a bunch of kids who don't care so long as it's there for them to ride the next day.