Easily Confused

JohnCleland
JohnCleland Posts: 172
edited July 2010 in Workshop
So,

I`m trying to change the rear cassette on the wife`s bike. She has a Specialized vita elite `09. It has Shimano Sora rear cassette (with Hyperglide stamped on it).

I have a freehub removal tool that I use on my Trek which has a SRAM cassette. This wont fit the sora.

I have been on the Park tools site and I am a little confused as to which removal tool I need.

Anyone know which one?? :oops:

thanks

Comments

• softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Shimano & SRAM both use the same tool fitting, so it should fit...
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Either the Park FR5 or LR15. I use a Cyclo remover.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    This is the one I bought to do exactly the job youre doing

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail ... tem=FR%2D5
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    So,

I`m trying to change the rear cassette on the wife`s bike. She has a Specialized vita elite `09. It has Shimano Sora rear cassette (with Hyperglide stamped on it).

I have a freehub removal tool that I use on my Trek which has a SRAM cassette. This wont fit the sora.

I have been on the Park tools site and I am a little confused as to which removal tool I need.

Anyone know which one?? :oops:

thanks

Sorry to hijack your thread - but whats your missus think to the Spesh Vita Elite, my missus is thinking about changing her bike and getting one when her cycle to work scheme restarts.
  • JohnCleland
    Thanks for the replies,

Softland,

I thought that SRAM and Shimano would have the same fitting, tried but did not work, hence the confusion.

Weejie & Cleat,

I think that I already have the FR5 that I use with the SRAM cassette.

It may have something to do with being an old 8 speed (hyperglide) rear cassette?

I`m going to call into the local bike shop with the wheel to make sure I get the right one.

Thanks for the inpiut..

Sheff
    The wife loves her bike, she says its awesome.

Its the 09 model in blue with the rear carbon stays, 24 speed. The gearing a little hard for her, with all the hills around here, hence the change of cassette.

I am not really a Spesh fan, but she is a brand whore and loves it.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Most strange that it doesn't fit. Shimano have used the same splines since they introduced the lockring. It would be interesting to find out what the LBS say.
  • JohnCleland
    ok, sorted,

The removal tool I originally bought is the FR1, this will fit Sram but not Shimano Hyperglide, I bought the FR5 ( took the wheel in to make sure ) this fits Shimano and SRAM.

I must say that the FR1 is a perfect for SRAM, the FR5 is a bit of a "sloppy" fit and may damage the retaining ring if used several times.

Cheers for the advice

The wife is now happy!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    When I clicked on this thread I thought it was about Willhub :?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr