ss kit

gazeddy
gazeddy Posts: 305
edited July 2010 in MTB general
ive now got a single speed kit and am setting up but im wondering if i should buy a chain tensioner or use the ghtteo mod one i have atm. atm im running a 9 spd deore mech with the limit screws turned to hold it in about 7th gear (14t). im going to split my cassette up to allow me to use the 14 with my kit and probly put a 16 or 18 there with it to allow me to ride to the trails easier. up front i have a 32tooth
I rode what you dug last summer

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd buy a SS converter for the freehub body with the cog you want, and sell/keep the cassette. Plus get the tensioner, and remove the mech.
  • gazeddy
    ive got the ss kit but it came with 16 and 18 tooth sprockets looking at sheldons page i want 14 for a 32 chainring. the mech is no use as a mech any more top jocky wheel escaped
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looked in the FAQs?

it is all there.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I find the my Gusset 16t sprocket is no good with a 32t chainring- the teeth are too long on the sprocket and the chan picks up on the teeth as it leaves sprocket. My Shimano one is much better IMO.
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • gazeddy
    Mine will be either a hg50 shimano 14 or an odyssey bmx 13 my kit came with 16t and 18t but they are too big
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i think this is a super chain tensioner

and i would be tempted to runthis rear cog
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    i think this is a super chain tensioner

and i would be tempted to runthis rear cog

My thoughts exactly :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Anonymous
    I agree with sheepsteeth and thel33ter whole ******* heartedly here.
    You already have a mech, why in god's name would you limit it to one gear? What the bloody hell's wrong with the world?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You already have a mech, why in god's name would you limit it to one gear? What the bloody hell's wrong with the world?

I have a bike with an engine, why on earth would I pedal myself to work tomorrow?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Northwind wrote:
    I have a bike with an engine, why on earth would I pedal myself to work tomorrow?
    That bike has gears too, right?
    Why would you wreck the gear selector, locking it into one gear?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If I thought it'd be fun, I'd do it. Singlespeeders are all mental but it's their misery, why not encourage it and then laugh?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Anonymous
    Northwind wrote:
    If I thought it'd be fun, I'd do it. Singlespeeders are all mental but it's their misery, why not encourage it and then laugh?
    Fair enough, I like your attitude :lol:
  • gazeddy
    I'm trying it as I was given the ss kit. I may or may not go back to gear but that will be with a roadie cassette and short cage mech. And will probably be shimano unless I see a complete SRAM shifter mech and cassette package
  • Rindle
    Rindle Posts: 219
    Get a Shimano DX Sprocket they're only about £3.99 and you won'y have to split your cassette