Too much stuff

MichaelW
MichaelW Posts: 2,164
edited July 2010 in Tour & expedition
Im off on my first long-duration, self-catering camping tour along the North Sea coast up to Norway. I'll be riding until mid-late Sept so the weather may turn nasty at some point.

It seems to me I have way too much stuff but when I go through and try to throw stuff out of the panniers, its going to be useful. I have 4 panniers, bar bag and the 1-man tent and 3-season sleeping bag on the rear rack.

Can I really compare the load with that required for a non-catering 2-week camping tour.

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    I suppose it depends on what you deem important or useful. I've been camping with 2 unfull panniers and a superfluous bar bag.

Perhaps post a list of your stuff and we could find a workaround.

One way to keep the weight / bulk down is to only have enough food for a day or two and stock up daily. I carried the light / unbulky stuff, eg. pasta and porridge, and bought sauces etc on the day. Lunch was always a cake stop of some description.

Sounds like a good trip.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    This is what I would take:

tent
    sleeping bag
    rollmat
    "pocket rocket" cooker
    1x gas canister (can buy more en route)
    1x small cookset + cutlery
    3x foil-packaged camping meals
    swiss army knife
    shorts
    2x tshirts
    fleece
    jeans
    trainers
    2x socks
    2x pants
    spare cycling jersey
    spare cycling shorts
    toothbrush
    toothpaste
    all-over wash gel
    compact expedition towel
    allen key/spanner tool
    3x tubes
    tyre levers
    pump
    spare chain link
    zippo lighter
    waterproof
    camera
    head torch

I reckon that's just a rack and 2 panniers' worth :wink:
  • ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    Ditch the jeans. Replace with some lightweight compact trousers for casual wear, e.g. Rohan Bags or similar.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    This is what I would take:

tent
    sleeping bag
    rollmat
    "pocket rocket" cooker
    1x gas canister (can buy more en route)
    1x small cookset + cutlery
    3x foil-packaged camping meals
    swiss army knife
    shorts
    2x tshirts
    fleece
    jeans
    trainers
    2x socks
    2x pants
    spare cycling jersey
    spare cycling shorts
    toothbrush
    toothpaste
    all-over wash gel
    compact expedition towel
    allen key/spanner tool
    3x tubes
    tyre levers
    pump
    spare chain link
    zippo lighter
    waterproof
    camera
    head torch

I reckon that's just a rack and 2 panniers' worth :wink:
    Much the same as me, except the bolded. I use recessed cleats so they became the de facto footwear.

Took a Windstopper jacket which doubled as cycling wear and campsite jacket.

Camping meals and quick cook noodles were for emergancies, ie no shops.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • RonL
    RonL Posts: 90
    Got to agree with Crapaud, and Ralex unless you have a bulky sleeping bag and tent, even with that four panniers absolute max. and still leaves room for food. Dried foods are good reserves if late or can't get a store e.g. porridge, couscous or savory rice, enough to have a warm meal and see you through to your next decent meal. Warm food is essential for moral when the going gets tough. May seem petty but you can get by with just a spoon especially with a swiss army knife too. Also two pot, one for food one for water. I would also just take one tube and some patches.
    Pedaling spans generations.
  • MichaelW
    I weighed all my luggage (inc bags) at about 55 lbs with some basic foods but no water.

The list above is my basic load but there are things missing:

I'm probably taking too many clothes but I could get caught in several days of low-teens C wet weather. The only extra item over my usual is a Paramo jacket. Its a bit bulky but my summer gortex is on its last legs and I dont trust it in harsher conditions.
    I've got a stack of maps and a compass.
    Im cooking on a Triangia and taking a bunch of small plastic food containers for coffee, milk, honey and some herbs and spices. as well as larger containers for food I buy. For utensils, 2 plastic sporks and a small wooden spoon, a plastic plate/bowl and mug. Ive got a swiss army knife but also a small pairing cook knife.
    Ive also got a small first aid kit, a small washbag and a more extensive toolkit with cooltool, mini leatherman, cassette remover,
    For electricals Im taking camera (4xAA) one spare set AA. Both are rechargeable using solar charger. A headtorch and a small windup radio/torch.
    For footwear Im taking trainers for riding/walking and sandals. I managed 2 weeks only using trainers last year but this is a much longer tour.

All I need now is the front axle to arrive in the post and Im packed and ready to leave.
    I guess I could ditch/swap/lose any non-essential items along the way.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I've done a few long trips, but all have been in hot climes so that obviously means you can get away with a bit less. Without cooking gear I can fit all my stuff in 2 small (front-sized) panniers with tent, sleeping mat and sleeping bag on the top of the rack. On my first couple of trips I carried way too much stuff and like you managed to fill 4 panniers + bar bag + rack-top bag. IMO travelling light is the way to go so leave any bulky luxuries behind.

You should be able to fit all your cooking stuff and food in your front panniers plus maybe some bits and pieces (assuming you're only carrying food for a few days and you go for basic stuff like porridge). So that leaves your 2 back panniers for clothes and tools and sleeping stuff. If your tent and sleeping bag is on the top of the rack I'm not sure what you've got filling up your rear panniers? :?
    More problems but still living....
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    Trangias are bulky and heavy. Do yourself a favour and get a little gas stove.
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    Take what is going to be comfortable for you - I cycled Hoek to Stavanger in 2008 - weather was extremly variable - Personally I do not get too hung up about weight as long as I can achieve my goals - about 90-100km a day and I am comfortable and well fed in the evenings

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/psmiffyontour2009
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    It might be a good idea to spend some time working out which items account for the bulk of the weight. My guess is that it's mostly the clothes and shoes. You'd be surprised at how much a pair of trainers and a pair of sandals weigh. Consider for example taking flipflops instead of sandals. If you are carrying trousers and shorts consider getting combi trousers.

A tube of travelwash goes an awful long way.
  • MichaelW
    Thanks for all the tips.

I've repacked and the panniers are not stuffed full, there is room left. Last year everything was inside the rear panniers and they were bursting at the seams.

Ive got cooking stuff in one front pannier, some extra maps and all my wet weather gear in t'other. Clothes and stuff in the rear 2 panniers and bag/tent on the rack.

I can lift the bike with everything in place and it rides OK so tomorrow morning I'll be taking the ferry to Holland.....
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    A couple of Spokes and a spoke key?
    jc
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    I often photocopy the parts of a map I will use (or, these days, scan and print). It can save a lot of space and preserve your map collection!. If there is a likelihood of inclement weather (which is about 99% of the time as I stay in Scotland), I laminate the copies of the maps.
    A couple of Spokes and a spoke key?

Ideally, a couple of spokes for each length on the wheels (usually three different lengths) and some means of removing cassette.
  • harpo
    harpo Posts: 173
    Cut the handle off your toothbrush to save weight!

And seriously do without denims and anything else you can. I learned first couple of times touring that you really don't need half of what you think you do.
  • huuregeil
    huuregeil Posts: 780
    As others have said, clothing is where it's at.

Ditch the fleece and replace it with a synthetic "belay" jacket, e.g. Rab Generator. Very light and packable and just as warm, if not warmer.

Paramos are very bulky. You can get excellent paclite or equivalent jackets for a reasonable price and save loads in weight and bulk again.

Jeans out, light softshell pants in.

2 t-shirts? You only need one, and I recommend a merino one that you can wear for mulitple days without it getting minging! Same goes for other clothing items (e.g. pants), get merino.
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    For the trip you are proposing take as many warm clothes as you have space for - And top to bottom waterproofs - including a change of gloves - late August and September up along the Swedish coast and along the Norwegian coast it can rain very heaviliy - tempertures drop - need to be warm on the bike and in the evening while camping