First Night Ride Tonight...

MountainPete
MountainPete Posts: 418
edited July 2010 in MTB general
...any last minute advice? I'll be out alone in an area I know well with my Hope Vision 2 lights, fully charged. I plan to leave just before it gets dark and have a short ride to see what it's like.

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Bring a backup torch and phone just in case everything goes horribly wrong :lol:

It should be fine though, I've wanted to do a night ride for ages but don't have enough cash for some decent lights.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I do a lot of night rides in the winter, great fun :-)

Don't rely on just one source of light in case the battery fails, always have a backup even if it's not that bright. Even a well known trail can feel strange when it's pitch black.

Even a very small helmet light is a real bonus, let's you see your shifters / water bottle / computer / etc. Also a real bonus if you have any mechanical issues. For this winter that's one item I intend to upgrade.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    A cheapp Tesco 2 AA battery torch plus a twofish lock block to mount it on your helmet is a good idea. If the weather's anything like it is here take a coat and probably a dinghy.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    thel33ter wrote:
    Bring a backup torch and phone just in case everything goes horribly wrong :lol:

It should be fine though, I've wanted to do a night ride for ages but don't have enough cash for some decent lights.

Don't be silly! You DO have enough... take a look at the FAQ what lights and from there you will see a massive thread.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    There's a FAQ? Been here for ages and not seen it. Do you have a link?
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • MountainPete
    Thanks Guys! I'll take a spare torch, just in case.

The weather looks like it should be OK this evening. It's been a glorious day but I fear we're due rain for the rest of the week (hence tonight being my night riding debut).
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    DX SSC P7 - 35 USD. You also need batteries, a charger (and adapter if you don't have one) and of course a mount for your bars.

See 'What Lights' and the discussion thread.

Now I cycle after dark about twice a week... P7, C1, 3 sets of batteries, 2 chargers, mounts etc for under 100 USD. A very good investment IMHO.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Just watch out for that Blair Witch.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    TowerRider wrote:
    thel33ter wrote:

Don't be silly! You DO have enough... take a look at the FAQ what lights and from there you will see a massive thread.

A 14 year with a bike that's been hit by a car, and two other bikes that only kind of change gear never has any money at all. :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    unixnerd wrote:
    There's a FAQ? Been here for ages and not seen it. Do you have a link?

Here:- http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12660193

Will give you all you need - I read the 90 odd pages in discussion but not really needed, start at end and work backward AND just look at common options.
  • MountainPete
    Back and alive. The light worked flawlessly and was bright enough for me to see what I was doing. I was expecting it to be an easier workout than during the day because you can't go quite as fast, but the irrational thought that someone/something is running after you prevents you from taking a breather!
  • scotto
    scotto Posts: 381
    Back and alive. The light worked flawlessly and was bright enough for me to see what I was doing. I was expecting it to be an easier workout than during the day because you can't go quite as fast, but the irrational thought that someone/something is running after you prevents you from taking a breather!

lol yes but the more you do it the more comfortable you feel out there, I actually prefer night riding to day riding now, great in the hot summer evenings if you have somewhere that you can get some speed up on.

someone said on here once that 'you are the most dangerous thing out there', I thought that was a great quote and good way to think about it.
  • MountainPete
    scotto wrote:
    'you are the most dangerous thing out there', I thought that was a great quote and good way to think about it.

Nice thought! Although I was on an army training area, so my main worry was that the sky would light up and I'd be in the middle of a pretend firefight!
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    .....but the irrational thought that someone/something is running after you prevents you from taking a breather!

:lol: That made me laugh

When I go out at night on my own, I'm always looking into the woods either side of me, looking behind every now and then. My Ay-Ups are quite bright on my helmet so they tend to light up quite a bit of the woods when I look into them.

As pointed out, we're probably the most dangerous thing out there, but it doesnt always feel like it !
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    its not dark enough here for night rides yet....unless you start at midnight....
    :D
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    The 2 things that still give me (silly) jitters are those 'rustles' in the wods somewhere and 'eyeshine' - 2 eyes looking into the beam of your lights...

I recall that line from American Werewolf

"S**t David, what is that....?"

Just before the werewolf strikes and rips him up!!!

:lol:
  • MountainPete
    BigJimmyB wrote:
    "S**t David, what is that....?"

Just before the werewolf strikes and rips him up!!!
    :

...thanks for that!! :-P