Chiltern 100 vs Wales Dragon

sampras38
sampras38 Posts: 1,917
Hi all

Have any of you done both the Wales Dragon and the Chiltern 100, and if so how does the Chiltern compare? I've done the Dragon twice now and whilst it's a fantastic event I think I fancy doing something else a bit more local.

I've done most of the southern based Sportives and various mountains in the Alps but never the Chiltern.

Advice much appreciated.

Comments

• nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Come up North and ride a proper Sportive. I've ridden the Dragon Ride a couple of times and think it's a great day out, but nothing compares with the real classics like the Fred Whitton and the Etape du Dales. Every keen cyclist should try these once!
  • I have done both and the Dragon Ride wins by a country mile, the Chiltern 100 is a good,
    hard ride, but the organisers seem to have gone out of their way to find every 25%
    climb in the Chilterns. It is often relentless up and down.

The Dragon Ride hills are harder but the ride is tempered with long sweeping descents
    and some fast flat sections which, give time for recovery and a chance to work as
    part of a group. A far more enjoyable day out.

'The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the
    average voter' - Winston Churchill
  • sampras38
    Nickwill wrote:
    Come up North and ride a proper Sportive. I've ridden the Dragon Ride a couple of times and think it's a great day out, but nothing compares with the real classics like the Fred Whitton and the Etape du Dales. Every keen cyclist should try these once!

Haven't got the time to get up north, hence the reason for not going as far as Wales..;-)

Just come back from the Alps and done various climbs around Bourg, including Alp Duez 3 times, Croix De Fer and Glandon.
  • 56mph
    56mph Posts: 70
    Have ridden both and they couldn't be more different. If it's Alp-like climbs you want (only shorter) then go for the Dragon Ride as it gives the closes approximation I've found in the UK.

The Chilterns' climbs are much steeper, but all really short, and follow relentlessly one after the other.
  • sampras38
    56mph wrote:
    Have ridden both and they couldn't be more different. If it's Alp-like climbs you want (only shorter) then go for the Dragon Ride as it gives the closes approximation I've found in the UK.

The Chilterns' climbs are much steeper, but all really short, and follow relentlessly one after the other.

To be honest I enjoy both the long drags and the short, sharp stuff such as Box Hill etc, so I think I'll enter the Chiltern next year for a change.

Thanks all.