Help with an Alfine 8 equipped bike please

BrokenSpanners
BrokenSpanners Posts: 2
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi All,

I'm hoping you might be able to help me out and reccomend a sub £500 Alfine 8 equipped gents commuter bike ? I dont want a pure road bike as I prefer the hybrid style, more upright stance. I'm thinking if I can just get a decent frame and the hub then I don't mind if the other parts are cheap/rubbish. I'll just upgrade over time

I'm not terribly mechanically minded so not sure how feasble it is to just retrofit a 2nd hand bike (as long as it had a good frame). Not sure if this is a financially viable option ?

open to any ideas you may have (uless you suggest not having the Alfine 8 that is - I really really do want it :)

Thanks very much
Naz

Comments

• jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    I suspect you will have to stretch your budget a little. I think you can get the Charge Tap for about £600.

I doubt you will find a bike with a decent frame, Alfine hub and budget parts to replace over time, however.

My advice would be to keep an eye on Ebay. I've seen an 'as new' Charge Mixer go for £500.

Also, come the autumn, when the 11 - speed Alfine comes out, I bet there will be a lot of great deals to be had on 2010 8 - speed stock.
  • markybhoy67
    markybhoy67 Posts: 346
    Evans have a 17inch frame Ridgeback Nemesis for £499

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/rid ... gn=froogle

I have had this bike (2008 model) for a couple of years and it has been great.
  • chrishumes
    chrishumes Posts: 227
    2nd hand ridgeback flight 04.? love mine. or a 08/09 model?
  • sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    If you don''t mind Nexus instead of Alfine you could look for a second hand Giant Escape R8.
    Steve C
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I bought a Ridgeback Nemesis from Evans last weekend. Given that a rear wheel with Alfine hub costs more than £200 it's a real bargain.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Halfords do a hub geared bike that is in your price range

It's called a "subway 8" and is listed at £350

The hub it uses is pretty similar to an Alfine but isn't disk brake compatible

My Alfine equipped commuting bike cost about £900, I built it up myself as there are almost no bikes with Alfine and drops