How does the internals of adjustable travel work?`

projectsome
projectsome Posts: 4,478
edited July 2010 in MTB general
Was just having a discussion about how it works and it seems neither of us have a clue :D

We speculated, as you turn the travel lever a corkscrew method would turn pushing spacers up or down but then we thought what about the oil etc?
FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    With uturn, the coil is wound through a big plastic helix which also acts as the push rod. So as the coil gets shorter, the negative bit gets longer - cunning.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ah, so the Uturn helps resist bottoming out as it gets shortened?
    That is devious!
  • supersonic
    Well the spring rate is increased, but that is due to the smaller coils binding earlier due to less being in the positive region.

Long negtives springs do not prevent bottom out.
  • Anonymous
    :oops: oh yeah! :lol:
  • supersonic
    Hehe, I knew you'd eventually visualise it - just as well, not easy to explain lol.
  • Anonymous
    I think where I went wrong was visualising the spring acting like a pull shock! :oops:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    So how about air u-turn then? I'm sure I could figure it out if I had one to take to bits, or at the very least injure myself while breaking it beyond repair.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • supersonic
    Works in a similar fashion by moving the 'push rod' up and down, preventing fork extension.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Does the U-turn provides exactly 45mm of travel adjust?
    Because I can only lower it to 100. :?

Oh, did I mentioned that I bought a Recon 351 140mm U-turn with Maxle for £270 new? :D
  • supersonic
    Air Uturn is 30mm, coil Uturn is 45mm, but some new forks are now 40mm.

2-step is one big 45mm adjustment. The new sytem on 2011 Revs, Dual Position air does similar with 30mm.
  • projectsome
    Xtreem wrote:

Oh, did I mentioned that I bought a Recon 351 140mm U-turn with Maxle for £270 new? :D

does this mean I can get a uturn added to my recon's then?
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    Xtreem wrote:

I fitted a U turn spring to my tora forks with no probs,ive been told that some forks dont have long enough stanchions to fully extend so ive changed mine from 100mm to 110mm to avoid any potential probs and it works a treat.
  • projectsome
    jayson wrote:
    Xtreem wrote:

I fitted a U turn spring to my tora forks with no probs,ive been told that some forks dont have long enough stanchions to fully extend so ive changed mine from 100mm to 110mm to avoid any potential probs and it works a treat.

What's the average price and what's the advantages?
  • jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I paid £47 for the spring from TFTuned cause the stock medium spring in my fork was a little soft so i put an extra firm in there and its loads better, i dont have the 50% sag it had before and it doesn't blow through all the travel at the slightest bump now either.