Driver in apology shocker!!

The Running Man
The Running Man Posts: 574
edited July 2010 in Commuting chat
On the way home friday night I was going through a little village called Rowde. I was nearly at the end of a short tree lined straight heading out towards Bromham and there's a 90 degree right hander ahead. Out of the blue a car comes round the corner on the correct side of the road followed about 5 seconds later by another one on my side of the road.

I don't mind saying I just wailed loudly as I was absolutely convinced I was going to get wiped out.

He missed me : I shouted "You idiot" at his rapidly disappearing boot, but shaken, carried on home.

About a mile further up the road I heard an engine catching me and then slowing and the chap in the aforementioned car pulled alongside me and wound his window down. My first thought was that we were going to have a proper confrontation so I got myself "in gear" for a barney and he said,

"I'm really sorry mate : I didn't see you under the gloom of the trees. I'm a cyclist myself and I felt really bad about what just happened. Sorry!!"

I think I said something about sending him the cleaning bill for my cycling shorts but we parted on friendly terms.

It was a dumb thing to have done on his part but at least he had the good grace to catch me up and apologise when he could just have kept going on his way.
Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
Specialized Rockhopper

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Now he's a gent.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    That's good of him.

A pillock in a jag collected me with his wing mirror this morning, having already nearly taken out a motorbike (I heard the resultant argument). Funny thing was, he wasn't driving fast, just badly, bit of an old boy. I slapped his car and made what I think of as a WTF? gesture, then caught him up at the next lights where he apologised.

I'm all for re-testing, I am.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Doesn't excuse his bad driving but good of him to apologise - probably a good lesson for him too. Glad you're still in one piece RTM!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,411
    That's good of him.

A pillock in a jag collected me with his wing mirror this morning, having already nearly taken out a motorbike (I heard the resultant argument). Funny thing was, he wasn't driving fast, just badly, bit of an old boy. I slapped his car and made what I think of as a WTF? gesture, then caught him up at the next lights where he apologised.

Amen to that!
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • @ benno : cheers fella! I'm glad I'm still in one piece as well :)
    Specialized Roubaix Pro SL : Litespeed Titanium Siena : Specialized Allez : Specialized Tri Cross :
    Specialized Rockhopper
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    That's not a driver, it's a cyclist in a car.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Hey RTM - I rewarded myself with a bacon and egg roll yesterday on the cafe on Mountain Road, scraped up there via Nantgarw!

Gimme a shout if you're down here on a Sunday - pootling only please!

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    That's good of him.

Some of the gimmers driving round us terrify me.

I fear the elderly more than the boy racers.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I got clipped (albeit lightly, but it still scared me) by an old boy. I caught up with him as he stopped in the next village.

It turns out he didn't even see me; he had absolutely no idea I was there, despite the bright blue jacket (I think it was autumn) and good visibility.

Now I run an Exposure Red Eye permanently. Hopefully it'll take care of the SMIDSY, if not the "I can't drive" problem.

Edit: Forgot to say: he really was very apologetic. Probably wouldn't have helped had he knocked me off though.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I've noticed lately that when people are creeping forward to get out of junctions (covering the cycle lane and 1/2 the damned road... quite a few recently have been reversing back and giving an apologetic wave. selfish driving rectified thanks!
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I've noticed lately that when people are creeping forward to get out of junctions (covering the cycle lane and 1/2 the damned road... quite a few recently have been reversing back and giving an apologetic wave. selfish driving rectified thanks!

It's probably 'cause you're like well scary innit.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,185
    A bloke in a white van waved an apology to me when he didn't need to :shock: as he pulled out of a side road in front of me this morning. He thought he's left it a bit late but he hadn't as I never had to use the anchors....maybe this should be in the anti-rants thread?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • diplomacy
    diplomacy Posts: 34
    That's good of him.

this reminds me of a jaguar i met a few weeks ago. signalling right while rolling up to red lights at a T junction in pimlico (just saying... pimlico) i notice an old jaguar and matching driver gliding gracefully under my outstretched arm. i look quizzically at him as he rolls onto the ASL, covering the entire thing and i roll past his car and pointedly stop right across the front of his bumper (technically a very slight red light jump). instead of any abuse he then puts his car in reverse and backs fully out of the ASL. kind of an apology? jaguar drivers are inept but polite?