Weird touring bike dilemma

HebdenBiker
HebdenBiker Posts: 787
edited July 2010 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,

Looking to do some multi-day touring in the UK in the summer, and maybe some audaxes, so I have my eye on an audax-type bike, like the Ribble winter/audax specials.
My thinking is that these are robust enough for load-carrying and long distances, whilst still being able to roll along pretty quickly.

BUT...

I also want a crack at the North Sea Trail, and other Sustrans trails in the UK. The problem with these is that they have off-road sections. Surely the audax bike would be unsuitable for these rides? This leaves me with the need for a more touring-oriented bike such as the Kona Sutra. Now I'm sure a bike like this would be comfortable and robust, but I wouldn't like to do an audax on it.

So any suggestions for a solution to my problem, apart from buying two bikes?

Thanks

Edit: I should add that an audax-type bike would make a great winter commuter for me.

Comments

• Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I don't know about the North Sea Trail, but a lot of the Sustrans trails that have off-road sections also offer on-road alternatives - I am thinking here specifically of Lon Las Cymru (great ride, by the way) which seems to be able to cater for everybody. And anyway, you're not on rails; you can always deviate on your own if you find a stretch is going to be too rough for a light tourer.

I'd say go with the light tourer/audax model since by the sounds of things that's what you'd be doing most of your miles on.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I think you're probably exaggerating the differences somewhat. A touring or an audax bike is going to come with the same basic kit - so the difference in weight isn't going to be that great. Equally the difference in strength and robusness - I seriously doubt that an audax frame is going to be so puny it won't cope with a bit of off-road (or indeed a bit of poorly-mainteained tarmac).
  • HebdenBiker
    HebdenBiker Posts: 787
    Thanks chaps - I think a light tourer might be the thing.